Monday, December 19, 2011

Mason Stats and a Weird Experience

Let me quick start with Mason's stats. We had his 3 month check up today (technially, he's just shy of 15 weeks). Stats are as follows:

Height: 26 3/4 inches (97%)
Weight: 17 lbs, 14 oz (97%)

As you can see, he's a healthy boy who is eating and growing. He is meeting all of the normal milestones.

Now, onto my totally unrelated weird experience today. I stopped at Walgreens (corner of University and Atlantic today). As I was getting ready to checkout, a young girl walked in (I am guessing she could pass as a teenager but she might have been older). Her eyes were red as she approached me; she looked sad/like she had been crying; borderline scared. She asked me where the corner of University and Southgate was. Both the clerk and I told her 2 lights down and pointed to University. My first thought was not of a curious nature because it was a simple question. Then she proceeded to ask me if I would give her a ride.

I instantly said no, I am not headed that way. She started to well up with tears and said she was so confused. The clerk and I proceeded to explain the directions again and the clerk backed me up by saying it was a nice day and only 2 lights down. Then the lady behind me agreed and also added to the direction giving because clearly our directions weren't making sense. She finally gave up defeated and walked out. She was standing at the light looking confused when I left.

Now, the clerk and the lady behind me in line instantly said I did the right thing by not giving her a ride because "you never know these days." She looked harmless but I agree; you never do know. I am tempted to say even if it was raining, I wouldn't have given her a ride. I might have bought her an umbrella if she added to her sob story.

For those that know the area...the only thing at the corner of University and Southgate is a gas station, a bowling alley, and a dog park. My guess is she was meeting someone and if they were that close, could pick her up. She had a cell phone and a purse.

As I drove away, my mind flashed to the worst case/scenarion (shocking, Erin, worry?). Of course it wasn't the worst case for this girl. It was me getting her in my car, her tazing me or holding me at gun point while she robbed me or took my car. The second scenario wasn't much better. It was having a dude waiting for me at the gas station and him doing something similar. I obviously read too many murder mysteries or watch too much tv but I had to justify that leaving her behind was the right thing to do.

2 Comments:

At 7:53 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Tasers? My goodness, how do you even get out of bed each morning?! :)

I had a person ask me for gas money at the gas station the other day. These sorts of weird-events seem to be increasing as of late.

 
At 8:19 AM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

You did the right thing. It's sad, but that is the world we live in. My mind would have gone to tasers (or something as sinister) too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home