Monday, December 12, 2011

Life After Outlook

I work for an innovative company that literally thrives on change (some good, some bad). You would think I would embrace change a little more readily, right? Not so. We switched from Outlook to Google Mail (aka: gmail for businesses). I want to think I will like it but it sucks. Yep, there, I said it. I am stuck in a mindset of how things "used to be in Outlook."

I didn't feel good Sunday afternoon. I don't know if I ate something, the kids germs were starting to get to me, or I was anticipating the Monday email horror that awaited me. It could have been withdrawal from work emails (Friday night to Monday morning without any blackberry service or webmail-oh my!). Either way, I tried to go to bed early but Mason had the beginnings of his first cold. He woke up in the middle of the night and needed some snot removal and vicks. Then Miller woke up and I had to sit with him (bathroom break and then "I had a bad dream, can you sleep with me?"). Then it was back to a baby that woke up before 5am and wasn't going back to bed.

Finally I bit the bullet and started work around 7:30. It's now 9:15 and I just wrapped for the day. I am super busy with end of year stuff (finals, new courses for January, training, etc.). Add in that dreaded email change and I was all out of whack today. The only saving grace is if I can keep this mad sprint up for a week (technically 5.5 days) I am off from the 22nd until January 3rd!

One last thing. I got a call at 5:30 that was a pure *ss chewing from a partner school. After the 20 minutes of active listening and polite responses, I called the main person responsible and politely did my own *ss chewing. It had to do with dropped balls and stuff from when I was on leave that I didn't really even become aware of until the 11th hour. The kicker, if people would just do their shit on time and adhere to my deadlines, it could all be avoided. There, I said it. Follow the process I set up and avoid the drama. Why is this such a hard concept? Whew. That felt good to get off my chest. I think I did enough fevered typing today to count as exercise. I am going to skip it tonight and go chill. Tomorrow, I will do a little extra.

2 Comments:

At 10:39 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

I am an Outlook snob too. I'd hate to have to change. Sorry to hear Mason is getting a cold.

 
At 8:02 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Hopefully everything settles down soon. At least baby colds are like "Cold Lite"; they seem to pass pretty quickly and easily. what sucks is that now you'll get it and it will be "COLD AWFUL."

There must be a lot of bugs going around DC, though. Yesterday, they said 6 teachers were out sick, and those people must have immune systems that are like Chuck Norris at this point, so if they're getting sick, we're in for a world of trouble!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home