Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Trip to the ER

I posted on FB this morning that I wish every day had a theme like Miller's school so I had some thing to look forward to. Today's theme for me ended up being the ER; not the theme I had in mind.

Today started as a normal day. I got up and ate breakfast with Miller, got him out the door for school and went back to bed for half an hour. Then things went wrong. I was in the shower and it was getting really hot. I didn't feel quite right so I stepped out and took some deep breaths to cool down. My ears started ringing and I felt dizzy. I knew I was going to pass out but I thought "I will just rinse off a little and sit down or get out." Next thing you know, whammo. I smacked my head on the wall.

So much for rinsing. I got out, grabbed a towel and hobbled over to the bed. I said the quick "Dear Lord, please give me a sign the baby is ok" and he kicked so I figured I was ok there. Then I called Ryan at work. Not really wanting to scare him but I think I was slightly dazed myself. He asked me if he should come home and I said no. I said to call back in 20 minutes to make sure I was ok. Instead, he was home in record time to make sure I was ok. I had managed to put on some makeup and was thinking about getting dressed when he came in.

He made me call the doctor. I figured I was just overheated and short of breath. Nothing a little water and cooling down wouldn't help. Then he told me in the nicest way possible to stop being stupid, call the doctor and "you are not going into work!"

I called and they got me in right away. I did the usual check up (same as yesterday). The doctor told me to go to the ER for a full work up just to be safe but she assumed I was ok. Not to panic and that she would be following up on me. I actually said "yes mom" and went to the ER.

First observation-the ER is slow regardless of if you are in pain or not. It took over half an hour to admit me and I was the first in line.

Second observation-it's a good thing they ask you to verify yourself and reasons you are there multiple times during a visit. I was asked if I was there for my c-section. Umm...not today I replied.

I went in for an ultrasound for a full baby workup. LBF#2 checked out well. It was kind of a nice surprise. They let me see his face, hands, heart, etc. (and his boy bits so I could tell Ryan he is really a boy). He was very active so that was a bonus since they were concerned about him and his movements.

Next it was time for the baby heart monitor. He passed with flying colors. I had extremely low blood pressure and supposedly was having contractions. If what I felt was contractions...I have been having them for months.

After that, I had an EKG. It took longer to hook me up to all the nodes and wires than the 10 seconds it took them to run it. I passed that test too.

Lastly, blood draw. The outcome was low iron/iron deficiency. I have been taking iron pills every other day but need to boost them to every day AND increase iron rich food intake. I was also told I was dehydrated. I knew that but didn't realize it was that bad. I am still a little shocked at how low my blood pressure was/is but the baby is ok with it so I guess that is what counts for now.

The nurse I had was very nice and all the staff was friendly. My head still hurts and I feel a little light headed but I think that's par for the course today.

The good news. I stopped at Chipotle afte I was released. No one greeted me or took my order even though there were a million people standing around. When I went to pay, the manager told me lunch was on him. I was super suprised because I didn't wait that long. I must have looked desparate for my burrito bowl.

5 Comments:

At 10:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you and my grandson are doing okay. Eat lots of spinach, red meat, raisins, and artichokes. Some times it helps to take a little extra vitamin C with this.
Take care of yourself. Love ya, Coyote Mama

 
At 11:06 AM , Blogger Erin said...

I may need to add in prunes with all that iron :)

I read that vitamin C is good for helping absorb the iron so I guess I will have to up my OJ/orange consumption (although I will not eat an orange like Erik!).

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Glad to hear that you and the baby are okay, but that is scary!

 
At 8:17 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

Scary indeed. Glad you and baby are fine. Take it easy!

 
At 9:12 PM , Blogger Julie D said...

Super scary! Glad you're okay!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home