Saturday, July 09, 2011

Pregnancy in the Summer

Up until this point, pregnancy has just been pregnancy. Everyone asks me when I am due and when I say September, they say "oh, how horrible you have to be pregnant during the summer," or "my planned it so they wouldn't be pregnant during the summer months."

First of all, I get that you can plan your pregnancy to an extent but guess what, Ryan and I didn't think to ourselves, let's get pregnant in the winter so Erin can be extremely pregnant during the summer. If I had that much control over when we conceived, I really would have opted for a different time frame.

Second, it does suck but only slightly more than normal. I am already short of breath and hot so the heat and humidity do make it more unbearable. I try to stay inside more than usual because of this. Today it was so muggy I actually looked up the effects of heat and humidity on pregnant women. Guess what, the articles I read said the same thing. Pregnant women are already short of breath and have an increased body temperature. Mixing heat and humidity makes breathing harder and strain on the body.

Their suggestions are things I have already been doing. Staying inside, resting, and drinking fluids. Notice I didn't say water. They actually recommend you don't over hydrate with water and keep your electrolytes up. That makes me feel a little better since I drink no where near what is recommended but I do get plenty of milk and usually a small juice or soda in. Yes, I have been enjoying 7 Up and Sprite quite a bit. One can only drink so much boring water.

I have been extra irritable this week because I am struggling with my breathing, not sleeping well, and also having some mysterious pains I don't remember having with Miller. I go to the doctor Monday for a normal check up. I am pretty sure it's all normal pregnancy related items. I just wish the next 8 weeks would hurry up. I know that the first few months after the baby is born aren't that great either but being able to sleep for a couple hours at a time that's restful seems heavenly. Not to mention going back to being heart burn free (read that no more Tums or Pepsid, and no more half puking and choking it back down) is like a dream state. I can't remember what it felt like to feel good.

I am going to take advantage of Miller's nap time and try to sneak one in for myself. Maybe I will wake up less irritable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home