Friday, July 01, 2011

4th of July Weekend

Facebook has a ton of posts this week talking about all the things people are doing in MN that relate to the 4th of July and summer in the midwest. I don't miss much about MN but there are a few memories I would like to share.

4th of July Traditions:
1) My poor father worked insane hours but we always got to visit him at the waterfront or ride with him at the head of the parade (unless we got to ride in our friends antique cars). That usually meant we also got to go on a few rides that he deemed "safe" at the time. No carnie wants to mess with a cop's kid while he's watching.
2) Kiddie parade on Saturday.When we were little, we were in the parade (baton twirler or marching for the skating club), or we watched for the best candy. The route was short and it was fun.
3) Real parade on Sunday. As I mentioned we got to ride with my dad in the police car or with our friends in their antique cars. Some years we watched. One year I think I had to march for marching band (that stunk).
4) Party at the Otterstad's cabin on Lake Bemidji. Food, fun, tubing, and if we were lucky, boat rides out on the lake to watch the fireworks. Other years my mom would haul us to Diamond Point Park to watch them in the car while it rained with the radio on (the big deal was the local station was supposed to be "timed" with the fireworks. It never quite worked out like the ones at Disney.)
5) College years meant I could go in the famed "beer tent." It was over-rated but I went any ways. You would always meet someone you knew at it and of course, watch all the crazy drunks make fools of themselves. I recall I might have been one of them one year...just maybe.

When we moved to FL, we tried to find a local parade. It wasn't the same. We didn't know anyone. They were all politicians, and hardly any candy. Top it with we weren't acclimated and 90 degree weather almost killed us. So we started our own tradition.

In our old house, we hosted a party with lots of food, drink, and fireworks. I have to say, it's one of the best parties the crew has all year that most of us look forward to. Then we sold the house on the lake and the last couple years, we have had to try out new locations. It's still a great celebration with the same people, same great food, and explosives. It's just a little scarier blowing stuff up in the street or someone's yard rather than out over the lake.

With the kids now starting to infiltrate our parties, we may have to find or start some new traditions that are a little more kid friendly. One thing we won't add to our tradition, MN mosquitos!

2 Comments:

At 12:02 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Actually, I think it's been pretty mostquito-y lately. At the park yesterday, I got BIT up!

I was looking for a parade this year because I thought Norah might enjoy it. What parade did you guys do before?

 
At 3:43 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

It was nice to hear about your traditions. Sound like MN fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home