Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Would You Ever Say This?

I have been assisting a professor at work that has been nothing but a giant nightmare to work with. His course was missing materials. At the half way point (yes, the course is live with students in it), he still had outstanding handouts that we had been unable to locate. After months of following up and the course being live, he finally sent me 9 emails with up to 7 attachments in each ALL labeled the same way. It took me a while to sort through that mess.


To top it off, his course was poorly designed because students keep placing assignments in the wrong spot. To correct that, we have to work with development. So after the 6th student inquiry today I had more recon work to do. I asked him a very simple question. Depending on his answer he either a) had to send me one more assignment from the student or b) tell the student they had to resubmit other work on their own. This is the response I received to my inquiry.


"I work all day and it is simply not feasible for me to do more."


WTF? First off, it's not my job to make this decision or follow up with the student. Second, do you think it's my job to chase his crap all day long? Why did he spend time emailing me that when he could have asked his student for an answer or an assignment? I wanted to tell him his half baked course development has cost us triple the normal cost to develop a course and his students have wracked up more tech support calls/costs than his peers combined. For now, I am going to hold back and see what his boss says. She has been involved in all of this but not said one single word.


I do think the hormone levels have kicked back in because this past week things have made me fiesty or teary. I watched Kate + 8 "gives back" today (they go to a food bank and a soup kitchen). I was balling thinking about the people who don't have enough food and how sweet it was that the kids were helping. Ugh! I need to get a grip.

2 Comments:

At 5:04 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Clearly, he shouldn't have taken on that course if he has no time to teach it appropriately.

Sucks that it means more work for you and that his students are most certainly suffering.

 
At 6:36 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Right on Jess. If he's too busy, why did he take on this course? His students are clearly suffering and 12 hours later, we found it's a bigger mess and will take more of my time tomorrow to sort it out. Add in the boss has yet to weigh in on this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home