Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Fear of Change?

Ok, I just read two frightening posts by friends that are now moms and wonder, what the hell happened to the friends I once knew? Will I also fall victim to this new found sensitivity? Probably but right now, I want to be told that after LBF is born, I am still me but improved. I don't want to lose my sarcasm or desire to belittle enemies.

First example:
...buying yet another adorable, pink-on-pink, super gotta have outfit for the baby doll. Every morning I look in my closet in complete disgust. My only comfort is knowing I get to pick out something cute for our little doll face!

This was posted by a friend who loved to eat people and spit them back out for fun in front of you for fun. She was a sassy lady and now...my god, she's only concerned with pink girl clothes! Where's the inner bitch?

Second example:
...freckles, potty training, and *gasp* super mushy email forwards!

Ok, I totally understand the first two because those are cool changes in your kids and they are adorable to watch growup but some of the email threads lately are all tear jerkers. Maybe these are my hormones working over time but again, where's the inner bitch? A few years ago the only forward I would have gotten would have been filled with sarcasm or gossip about one of the girls from the P**** P****.

Psychoanalyzing myself I have come up with this: I already know my life is going to change and I am ok with it but I do need to know that some of the old me will still remain. I don't want to be labeled only as a mom. I still want to be Erin. This is coming from the girl who's most exciting dream lately consisted of putting on jeans and buttoning them. Then wearing a shirt tucked in with a belt and putting on high heals. Seriously, the point wasn't even that I was skinny or drop dead gorgeous, it was that I missed my old clothes!

And for those two friends mentioned above, they are the best moms and friends in the world. I wouldn't trade them for anything. I just had to point out how crazy I am starting to feel and hope they reassure me they still have mean sides to them deep down. I think it is time for LBF to make an appearance before I crack completely.

7 Comments:

At 8:17 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Oh Erin, once a bitch always a bitch. Your inner badass will never change, so no fears.

And if you send me one of those goddamn, sentimental email forwards, I will choke you.

 
At 8:45 PM , Blogger Crissy Rae said...

I think the gang will seriously kick your ass if you become some sappy, lame-ass pushover. I have faith the inner sarcasm will always be there.

 
At 6:09 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Ah, I love you guys!

 
At 6:18 AM , Blogger Ryan said...

whoa, whoa, whoa, ladies. A little less sarcasm/bitchiness might be delightful for certain husbands....

 
At 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your badass will just change to being a badass mom who yells at the other kids at the playground for throwing rocks at LBF.

 
At 11:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

BKR is sure to respond with assurance that I can still hold the crown for queen B****. It's just that now the mommy role comes first. I guess that's what defines your ability or inability to take on the full-time mom role. I personally need my job to let my glowing personality shine! Sadly I have to tell a little related tale too... I was at the grocery store the other day and ran into a wife of a co-worker of BKR's. BKR and the co-worker are pretty close so we've hung out with them occasionally on a social level. The wife has never met our baby yet though but has seen pics and received an announcement. She stopped me to make small talk and say hi. Commented on a few things and at the end of the conversation said, "I'm sorry I can't remember your name... I just know you as Valerie's mom." Your identity will change, but it's for the best! SQKR

 
At 2:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes by friends. The B****ness comes back. I believe you will even find a new level. No sleep, Dad's not helping (enough), and a crying baby with S**t all over itself will all come in handy for regaining your old self. Sorry Ryan, there is no mellowing. The real kicker is you get to see them be nice (to the baby), but remain the same to the dear old man of the house:) If SQKR reads this, I'm not writing it and supper will be done when you get home.

BCKR

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home