Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday

My father was never into watching football. I grew up with a neighbor who was the quarterback for our high school team. I would go to the games to socialize, not watch the game no matter how much he tried to teach me about the game. In college, I think I went to 2 games which involved drinking shots of rootbeer flavored liquor to pass the agony of the cold and boring game. Oh wait, I went to one game with the hubby as one of our first dates-again, interested in him, not the game. So that leads me to watching football in Southern Florida.

The Vikings suck. They always have and always will but for some reason, these MN boys like to get together every Sunday to watch them get slaughtered. I have learned the basic rules but honestly, I like NASCAR and hockey much better. Football rates just slightly above watching golf or tennis on tv. The only reason I used to tag along was again the social aspect which included talk, munchies, and drinks. Now that I can't stand most food and can't drink, even the social aspect barely will lure me in. Today I put on a happy face and thought I would try to watch a game again (I have avoided the season so far). I showed up at the end of the 3rd quarter beginning of the 4th and quickly lost interest. We were losing 20 something to zero. Yeah, it's hard to get excited over a team like that.

There were two profound moments today that I have to share. One, I asked a question that I thought would get me chastized for not knowing the answer but guess what, the guys weren't sure either (I asked who Terry Bradshaw used to play for). The second interesting tidbit was that I knew about a play last week where some fat lineman ran 40+ yards for a touch down and basically stiff armed some guy from the other team. I don't watch sports highlights very often but that one I was aware of. My hubby thought the pregnancy had turned me on to Sports Center. LOL!

So, Sunday is not a fantastic day for sports unless figure skating is on. Which, I haven't seen in a while. I graded papers, did some chores and am about to tackle my yearly appraisal. That's all for now.

1 Comments:

At 8:33 AM , Blogger Jess said...

Wow, even I know that Terry Bradshaw played for the Steelers! I guess some of the football that I used to watch over the years seeped in.

We used to always watch the Broncos when I was a kid (and I learned that if you grew up in CO, John Elway was a god) and that was fun because my dad, my uncle and my grandpa were really into it, so Sunday afternoon always felt festive. In hs, I went to every single game our hs had at home, but like you said, it was more for the social aspect -- and ditto that at college.

I like football actually. Of all the sports to watch, I think it's the best. But Jerry doesn't watch sports and we mostly spend Sundays reading, so I forget that it's on.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home