Sunday, December 03, 2006

Figure Skating

That's right folks! I got the whole group of friends (16+ people) to go ice skating for my birthday! I had a great time and I think everyone else did too. We went to a new rink since Hurricane Wilma destroyed the one we usually go to. It is a nicer facility but it was a Saturday night in south Florida and that equates to lots of cocky little middle/high schoolers. They packed way too many people on the ice and it was hectic but there were no major accidents. I was the most worried about Jess since she is running a marathon in about a month. I was worried she might slip and hurt herself and then I would have to live with the guilt that she wouldn't be able to race but...no injuries so no guilt! :) Whew!

I can definitely say it took me a good time to get my balance and comfort level back up (and my feet and ankles to remember how skates feel). I now understand why everyone complains about how uncomfortable skates are. I guess I was conditioned after 20 some years of wearing them everyday for hours at a time but after a two year break, yikes! they are not as comfy as tennis shoes anymore.

The hubby did a great job organizing everyone and getting cakes for us. Hopefully no one is too sore today. I am going to go tackle the crowds and get some Christmas shopping done. Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

At 10:43 AM , Blogger Jess said...

I was at my own risk skating; if I injured myself, it would be my own dumb fault. But I loved it! I had fun!

I wasn't sore after skating, but after yesterday's long run, well, that's a whole other story.

 
At 5:21 PM , Blogger Erin said...

If only the rink had open skating afterwork that I could actually attend, then I would have a hobby much like your marathon training.

I want to get my butt back on the ice-well, not literally. It felt so good to ache in places that haven't moved in years. I miss the smell, the challenges, the goals. I guess I need to find a way to skate more often.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home