Monday, October 30, 2006

New hurdle to accomplish

Most people would consider college a major hurdle to accomplish in life. Check, done that several times now. How about a real job, check, done that too. Marriage, house, dog, cat, check, check, check and check. The next accomplishment is a family.

I was asked about the timing of a family only a couple times after I got married but only by outsiders. People that knew me I had goals to accomplish before I was ready to start a family. I am afraid to say I am running out of obstacles, hurdles, and goals to accomplish before we start a family. Plus I am getting older and biology can only be so nice to a person.

The last month or so had me seriously thinking about this baby thing. Some of my high school girlfriends have had kids but they live thousands of miles away. Now the "inner circle" of friends that I see on a weekly if not daily basis have entered the realm of parenthood.

This week I have made two "baby steps" forward. One, I visited and held Kyle at the hospital when he was less than 24 hours old. Today, I stopped by and held him for about an hour. Much less scary at his parents house than that darn hospital. He is still small and freaks me out but he is adorable and less alien like than I had originally thought. For those of you that don't know me or my friends that closely, we all think babies look like aliens. It isn't a bad thing, just a fact.

I know this is even a sillier thing to mention in a blog but I am their emergency contact in Florida! At first I didn't think much of it. I am the emergency contact for their alarm system and their dogs but now a baby! Yikes! Obviously they have no thoughts about anything bad happening or they really trust me with Kyle! Well, don't worry. I used to babysit a lot and in general think I will be an awesome but neurotic mom. Knowing Kyle's parents are very laid back and will help me through my craziness is a good thing. Maybe the next baby update will be about my own. Or changing diapers but that isn't a very big deal.

Until further notice, still no babies but maybe I am getting closer to it. Ryan better watch out!

2 Comments:

At 8:20 PM , Blogger Jess said...

This post gave me greater insight into how you think. I know you like lists, but the first paragraph clued me into how you think of your life in general: It's a giant checklist, isn't it?

What if you fail to check something off? Will I have to come visit you in the mental hospital?

 
At 8:20 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Checklists are great but I have really started to try to stay away from them for the insanity reason. It is always easy to add too much to my list and if I don't accomplish it, I feel bad. Blame it on my parents, they always had "to do" lists.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home