Monday, October 15, 2012

Survival

Ryan's off enjoying his annual duck hunting trip. So far, I have survived a couple school days and the weekend with the kids. Luckily, work has been slow so my evenings have not needed me to hop back online. What a relief. I guess that is what normal people experience after they leave the office for the day. I could get used to that feeling.

Mornings have been fine. I didn't anticipate too much drama in that department. Pickup from school has been uneventful too. The kids have been pretty good and not been too terrible while I try to cook; they must know I need as little distraction as possible when trying to whip up a delicious meal such as mac and cheese.

The school night drill is always a blur. Feed them, clean them up or bathe them, get one in bed, entertain the other, somewhere in there clean up the mess from supper, and then get the second one down. Then do all the things you couldn't do while they were awake before you sit down and realize it's time for bed.

The weekend...well, overall I think I did pretty well. I kept busy with the kids. Lots of trips to stores and things going on. The only downside is neither kid slept well since Ryan left. They both have been waking up at weird times. Mason of course is rashy and doesn't feel well so that meant 4am wake ups that resulted in very little sleep from that point on (and he skipped his nap on Saturday). I admit I was short with them a few times but I think we had a pretty good weekend. Jess and the kids came over for some wild play time on Saturday and we met them at the park to run off more steam on Sunday.

Everyone misses Dad. Mason waves goodbye each morning like Ryan is there. We spoke to him yesterday and Mason lit up at the sound of his voice. It was so sweet. I know Ryan won't be able to shake either kid off his hip once he's home. "Mom's a nice change but there are some things she just doesn't do the same," as Miller reminds me daily. Gotta love the kid for his honesty. LOL!

As for running; I didn't get a chance to run Friday when it was nice and cool. I had a dentist appointment. I figure a day of shopping and running errands and then chasing Mason for the entire weekend counted for something. Today I was disappointed to see the temp and humidity back up but I rocked a new personal best. 5K in 32:16! I may actually be able to run close to a 30 minute 5K in November. I know it's a lofty goal but if I can shave that last mile down to 10 minutes like I have with the other 2, I am going to be super pleased with myself.

3 Comments:

At 10:54 AM , Blogger Jess said...

You'll be able to shave that time off come race day. Plus, just racing tends to creaet faster times: The atmosphere, etc just encourgae that.

LOL at "Mom's a nice change" as if you're a variation in outfits or something! :)

 
At 4:41 PM , Blogger Crissy Rae said...

You mentioned race day...are you doing the turkey trot?

I also thought Miller's quote was quite cute. It's an interesting perspective from a little man.

 
At 6:14 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Yes, doing the trot on Turkey Day!

Miller has some clever things every now and then. Good to know the wheels are turning in his little brain.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home