Thursday, October 11, 2012

Allowance

We have encouraged Miller to help us with tasks around the house since he was little. He always is happy to help and so far, doesn't realize some of these tasks are forming good habits and are chores. After a few unbearable trips to Target that resulted in endless pleas and tears for toys not purchased, we decided the ol' sticker chart wasn't good enough. It was time to add an allowance to the picture.

So, although I had grand ideas of putting up a really cool chart, marking off tasks, and providing an allowance it's a little more generic. If he makes it through the week at school without major meltdowns or timeouts, that works in favor of us giving him his allowance. At home, he helps clear his dishes from the table, picks up his room, helps pick up Mason's toys, watches Mason for us for a little bit when our hands are tied, and helps Ryan pick up dog poop. Oh, he also helps me with laundry.

He can earn anywhere from $1-3. Yes, $3 is a major accomplishment but most of the time he averages $2. He finally saved up enough money that while we were at my parents, he got to go shopping with his money. This was his first allowance purchase. It was an Iron Man action figure with a cool plane (I would call it a vehicle but I know I would be corrected immediately).

The purchase process was painstaking (you can get these TWO things or this ONE thing, you don't have to spend ALL of your money, I think that's a GREAT choice). He played with the toy for about 2 days and now it sits with all of the other super heroes to be revived in a couple weeks as though it's a new toy again.

Judge me if you like but this has made our trips to Target (or anywhere for that matter) much easier. There are less requests for items and certainly less meltdowns. Now the conversation is "When I save up my allowance, I want this." He also will ask to help with things around the house to up his chances of getting that cash to put in his wallet.

3 Comments:

At 12:43 PM , Blogger Jess said...

I think an allowance is a great idea: Teaches kids all kinds of good stuff. Norah is still too young to get it, but once she's a wee bit older, I'm sure we'll implement an allowance system.

 
At 5:59 PM , Anonymous Kevin said...

Are you kidding...we are going through this exact thing times 10with Kyle...so you've got a few more years to go. we're getting notes sent home from Kinder teacher, meltdowns at Target, etc.....it has gotten to the point where we are saying on the way to the store "ok, now listen, we are NOT NOT NOT here to buy toys, not even looking at them ok...OKKKKKK" we've done charts, graphs, notes, everything...maybe have to switch to allowance

 
At 9:32 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

I don't think allowances are evil- so no judging here. I'm sure we'll use one with Rylee someday.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home