Friday, September 14, 2012

Success Running

I successfully completed week 9 this week after taking most of last week off to heal my knee. I had to take my car into the dealership this morning so I had to get up extra early to squeeze the run in. At 5:30, the temp was nice. I avoided all falling nuts and was able to actually run 32 minutes rather than the planned 30. I probably could have finished out the full 5K running but decided not to push it.

My new dilemma is what my running schedule will be next week. Work is tossing a wrench in the plan with travel and I am not quite up to the time zone difference and running in a hotel gym. I think I might switch it up and run Sunday, Tuesday, and then on Saturday once I am back home. Then I can resume my normal Monday, Wednesday, Friday thing the following week.

I haven't found a new plan (nor have I really looked) but since I am not running the full 5K yet, I think I will increase my running time by 2 minutes each week. Then I need to figure out the best way to improve my time. Do I just try to run faster or do I try for a longer distance so my stamina is better? Any tips? I am sure the almighty Google will have an opinion but I wanted to ask real runners first.

1 Comments:

At 1:03 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Both long, slow and short, fast help make you faster. The particulars of that are kinda hard to explain in a brief comment box.

My particular opinion, however, is pretty straight forward and, relatively, short: Run whatever duration/distance/pace you're aiming for until it feels comfortable; once it feels comfortable, push yourself beyond that to the initial levels of discomfort. So, for example: If you can comfortably run 3 miles in X time, do that for awhile to allow your body to become efficient at it, then once it feels nice and comfy, try to run those same 3 miles faster. It should be uncomfortable to do so. Keep working at it until, again, you achieve a level of comfort.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

But, also keep in mind that each run is its own, and there are a bazillion factors (most of which are outside our control) that influence the quality, speed, or quantity of a run. So, it's hard to maintain a level of consistency. In short, I think it's rewarding to challenge myself, but I'm also pretty forgiving of myself.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home