Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Run, Rain, Route

I am bored with running. I need a new challenge or something to motivate me. I woke up this morning and made a deal with myself; if it is raining when I get home (from dropping the kids off at school) I can skip my run. I got home, secretly wished for a downpour and checked the weather. Nothing really indicating a torrential downpour was looming so I headed out.

Once out, it was misting and I thought that wasn't too bad. It was almost refreshing BUT if it became a downpour, within the first mile, I could call it quits when I made my first loop by home. About 1/4 mile in, it downpoured for about a 1/4 mile distance then stopped. So of course my head was thinking, you are already wet. If it's downpouring near home, you can stop but if it's just a light rain, keep going. You are already wet.

The rain and thoughts of quitting early had me running a pretty quick pace (9:49 average for my first mile). When I got to the 1.5 mark and would have normally headed near home, I decided upon a route change. I had a general idea of where I was going and the approximate distance but these FL roads are fricken twisty, cul-de-sac laced, and far from any normal grid pattern. I went down a route that I thought would take me one major road over and bring me back to the road that runs by my house. I eventually did do that but in my head, the route was more straight forward. I had a slight moment of panic that I was going the wrong way. I knew I could always walk home if I got lost but wasn't sure how long that would take me. Luckily, I ended up exactly where I thought I would at about the 2.25 mile mark. 

I had hoped that new extra loop would bring greater distance because to round it out meant I had to take that extra block with the terrible fake sidewalk. They basically black topped over tree roots and it's on a severe slope for drainage. I am not only afraid of tripping but I can "feel" the burn when I run on that. It's like trail running (or what I would imagine trail running is like).

Around the 2.25 or 2.5 mile mark I was wishing for another downpour to cool me off. I think that's the worst part of running. I get so hot I feel like my head is going to explode. My legs get tired and sometimes I labor for good breathing but generally, the combusting head is what leads me to want to quit running.

I guess the next challenge will be to increase my mileage a little. I am running a 5K in about a month. I know I can do the distance because I have been doing it consistently for more than a month straight now. I have even gotten my time down to 33 minutes (sometimes a titch under, sometimes a titch over). I have a fear that on race day, there will be unnecessary bobbing and weaving that add to my distance that will kill me.

On top of that, I wonder what I will want to do after the race. That goal will have been met and frankly, I can't see myself running 3 days a week, every week for the rest of my life. Maybe my next goal would be a longer race or distance to challenge myself. The only problem with that is that it requires more time which I don't want to invest. Hmmm...

3 Comments:

At 8:48 AM , Blogger Ryan said...

You should take the longboard and the push stick out for a try after the 5k. You could exercise in the same amount of time, but you would be working different muscle groups. Do that for a month, then go back to running.

 
At 10:43 AM , Blogger Erin said...

I am afraid I might kill myself on the long board and that requires upper body strength...I bet I couldn't make it to the end of our street!

I wish Miller would ride his darn bike! Then we could at least get some bike rides in.

 
At 11:23 AM , Blogger Jess said...

The race will add distance to the run, it just does -- like you said weaving and bobbing creates a bit more running -- but it's typically a small increment, like maybe a tenth of a mile, which would probably add about 1 minute to your time. It's most crowded at the beginning, by mile 3, it thins out a lot and you can make up some time -- it's just that you may be tired by then.

But, really, does it matter? You know you're not gonna win, so you're running for fun and to know that you've already burned 300+ calories to start your turkey day; the time is secondary! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home