Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Brutal

After running in the tropical storm on Monday, I figured today should be easy. Wrong! It was brutal. I ran for 28 minutes (2 more minutes than Monday) but I felt like I was going to die. It was so hot, humid, and sunny that I was wishing for a little sprinkle of rain to keep me from combusting.

On top of that, my right knee is bothering me. I do some basic stretching before I run, warmup with a 5 minute walk, run, and then usually walk another 3-5 minutes to get back home. Then I stretch again and have some water. I try to stretch throughout the day on the days I run. The pain is above my knee cap and slightly to the outside of it.

Any tips on what it might be and what I should to do make it feel better? I have come too far to be sidelined by a stupid ache. I just don't want to aggravate it and do more damage. Darn old body of mine.

1 Comments:

At 10:10 AM , Blogger Jess said...

It is brutally hot and humid out there, and the sun always melts me as well. But, you got it done, and that's good!

The knee pain could be lots of things. Is it sharp, shooting pain or dull, throbbing pain? Does it hurt right away when you run or start aching at some point while you run? Is it all the way on the outside of your knee or directly on the top of your knee?

Depending on how you answer those questions, would help you diagnose yourself. But, most likely, it's some kind of inflammation, which means that the best "cure" is RICE: rest and ice. I also recommend Advil, or some other anti-inflammatory.

In my opinion, unless it's a muscle issue -- which seems unlikely for joint pain -- stretching doesn't help. It doesn't necessarily hurt, but it's not all that helpful either.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home