Monday, February 06, 2012

Independence

There are days when I love how independent Miller has become. He can get dressed, brush his teeth, entertain himself, etc. I have to laugh though because with the independence also comes frustration when he really should have help but doesn't want it.

He's been potty trained for quite a while now but struggles with getting a clean bum when he poops. So about a week ago I reminded him to "wad" the paper in a ball and keep wiping until it's clean. He showed me how he does it the next time he went the bathroom and I praised him. He's doing pretty well except for when the messy ones occur.

Sunday, I was in the shower and he was napping. Ryan was outside and Mason was also napping. I get out of the shower and make my way to our bathroom (yep, haven't showered in there since I passed out while pregnant). I notice the closet door is open and the toilet lid is open. I hear some noise in Miller's room so I assume he came in and went the bathroom. I look in the toilet before I go hunt him down to make sure he didn't need any help.

What did I find? Approximately half a roll of toilet paper in the bowl covering his poop (he's not the best at remembering to flush). I also notice a brand new roll of tp on the holder. I figure Ryan had to have helped him get that out of the closet and on the roll (ours slide on, not the springy type). I head down to his room and ask him about his bathroom experience.

He told me about how he went by himself. He used a lot of paper to make sure it was clean and then replaced the roll. But then he started to hammer on about something falling and I thought he meant in the toilet so we go investigate. Nope, it was a bottle of hair product he knocked out of the closet when getting the tp but put it back up there. I was proud of him for trying to hard to do it himself but also a little ticked about the half roll of tp in the toilet. I didn't let on about that but found Ryan to check it out. I was concerned a flush would clog. Guess I was wrong. The first thing Ryan did was flush it as I am yelling about "noooo....what if it clogs."

BTW, even with all that tp, he didn't get himself clean. I had to do a little cleanup. Ryan always ask him if he's on the cheek or in the crack. I think we need better directions since obviously this isn't getting through.

At moments like that, I think the independence is a pain but then I change a messy diaper from Mason and remind myself independence is good.

2 Comments:

At 4:46 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Hey, wiping is tough work -- you can't SEE what you're doin' back there!

 
At 2:04 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

Have you tried the flushable wet wipes? They work much better than TP. At least he could use them at home.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home