Friday, June 10, 2011

Glucose Test

I went in for my glucose test today. It was the first time I have been to a lab outside of the doctor's office while in FL. Even though the place was like a machine with people in and out, they were still a half hour late getting me in for my appointment. So much for scheduling the 7:30 early appointment knowing I needed to get to work before 10. Oh well.

Since my pregnancy with Miller, they have changed the glucose screening process. The minimum test is a 2 hour test now. So, I got a ton of blood drawn, peed in a cup, drank the nasty orange flavored syrup, and waited for an hour. Then they drew more blood. Then another hour of waiting. Then they drew more blood.

The nice part of this test was that I didn't have to sit in the waiting room. They had a room with lazy boy recliners for glucose test patients. Sure beat sitting in the uncomfortable waiting room chairs. They were renovating and could have used a good wipe down but I was ok with a little dust butt.

About half way through my test another lady joined me. We made some casual small talk but she made my day. She was little over a week further along than I am and told me I looked tiny for how far along I was. I love first time mom's. That was so sweet. I assured her I would plump up soon enough and that I only had 20 weeks of morning sickness to thank for my current shape. She laughed and of course had said she didn't have much morning sickness. Lucky lady.

For the next half hour, we had the pleasure of listening to a child complain, cry, and whine that he didn't want to be touched and wouldn't let the nurse draw his blood. He was old enough to know better (I am guessing kindergarten or first grade). At the half hour mark, mom pulled out the big guns and threatened dad was on his way. When I left, he still hadn't had his blood drawn. That is the reason your appointments are never on time. That nurse was so patient. I think as a parent I would have marched him outside, swatted him, tried to bribe him with something and then held him down. Who knows. Either way, I felt sorry for all involved.

I also heard a patient complain, a manager get called in and a nurse get reprimanded. Lucky me, I had her do my second blood draw. I knew she was not in a good mood after the 20 minute butt chewing she just received. Thank goodness she didn't take it out on my veins.

Now I have to wait to find out my results. I have a doctor's appt on Monday but they won't be in on time. I didn't have problems with Miller and don't foresee problems this time around but it's always a sigh of relief when they tell me everything is ok.

On the work front; this week was more insane than I anticipated. One night I was at the office until 9pm and two other nights I had to work once I got home. It made the week go by fast but I haven't had days like that since I switched jobs. Next week will be busy too as my peer is on vacation. Hopefully I can keep up. I still am lost on a lot of things but some other stuff I feel I am doing well with and that I have it under control. I know I am the one pressuring myself to know it all and I know it takes time but I hate not knowing how to do my job! TGIF is all I can say. Time to go check on the munchkin. He sweet talked me into letting him watch tv before bed tonight. I even got a hug and a kiss. How can one say no after that?

2 Comments:

At 7:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully you can have a nice relaxing weekend to make up for your busy week!

Shannon

 
At 2:18 PM , Blogger Jess said...

It sucks you had to do the long test; I'm lucky I guess I had mine right before those changes.

I'm sure everything will come back fine concerning the glucose test.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home