Sunday, June 05, 2011

Swear Inducing Toys

Miller had a weird birthday. He started out super excited and as the day progressed, he seemed more and more upset. We couldn't figure out why. We think a few things affected him.

1) It was just us this year, no grandparents or friends. (He said he didn't want anyone to come over. Later in the day he wanted Uncle Jon, Uncle Jerry, and Norah to come over. Uncle Pete and Aunty Amy were a bust do to yardwork but we know Pete will make an appearance this week with his skateboard.)
2) He knew his big cake and party is at Monkey Joe's later with his friends but I think he thought it was happening yesterday even though we talked about our plans all week leading up to yesterday.
3) He got a skateboard and I think he thought he was going to be able to ride it like a pro his first time and didn't realize how hard it would be.
4) I think he also thought he was going to get to go shopping for his own presents. He got a lot of loot but it was bigger things (skateboard, t-ball set, swing, etc.). We think he thought he would get more "indoor toys."

Number 4 led to a trip to Toys R Us today to pick out something with his birthday money. After an hour in the store and literally 20 minutes trying to decide; I found an airport toy and a rescue station toy. Of course, he couldn't decide and I said f it and bought both. I felt guilty for not buying him more when Ryan told me to this week and I clearly couldn't get him to make up his mind.

Big mistake. I spent the last 2.5 - 3 hours hunched over on the floor putting together the two toys. I didn't realize I should have put the decals on first (mind you, I couldn't figure out which stupid piece was which anyways so they would have ended up on the wrong ones) and then the actual assembly directions were far from detailed. Miller tried to wait up to play with them but I finally sent him to his room for a nap. I was starting to lose it and I knew the naughty words were coming. If I were drinking, this would have easily been a 3-4 drink project.

I still have one piece that isn't working right and Ryan will have to try to figure it out. I also had a few whacked decals and then I ripped a couple. I was so mad at myself. In my own defense, the directions were horrible and trying to do this with a beach ball in front of you (prego belly) makes it a little more challenging. I now know why Santa never assembled many gifts. S/he was too frustrated after an evening of assembling all the other toys to have the patience to do it after 9 or 10pm.

I hope Miller plays with them because these two top the matchbox car launcher thing I got him for Xmas that he hasn't played with and is now back to a million pieces in a toy bin. By the time #2 arrives, I will have figured out which toys are the easier ones to put together (or how to bribe Ryan to do it).

2 Comments:

At 6:19 PM , Blogger Jess said...

My mom has a story about assembling a bike for my brother on x-mas eve, and she thought she was gonna lose it trying to put that thing to together. She claims that assembling it was harder than giving birth to him :)

Kids have kind of a hrad time understanding b-days and holidays. And excitement gets mixed up with other emotions. He'll have a great party in a few weeks.

 
At 8:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully he'll have a blast at monkey joes and that will make the wait all worth it!

I think opening the packaging is frustratIng enough and then if you add assembly too - ugh.

Shannon

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home