Saturday, January 31, 2009

Graduation

Our university holds two commencements, one in the winter and one in the summer. The winter one is in Miami and the summer one is in Chicago. They combine it with our faculty retreat. I was unable to attend the retreat this year do to some big stuff going on at the office but made it down to Miami for graduation.

Although I dreaded the drive and didn't want to sit through another ceremony, it is still fun and inspirational once it's underway. This year John Legend was the keynote speaker. I know...seems weird until you hear what he had to say. He tied overcoming obstacles, life, hard work, determination, and support from family, friends, and faculty all into one.

We also had a keynote student speaker. She had a very touching story and it brought tears to my eyes. All students overcome obstacles to achieve their education and the morning was filled with examples. It made me proud to support the families and students who traveled to Miami to attend their graduation. Plus, who can't listen to the graduation music and get a little teary eyed?

This must be why I do what I do on a daily basis. It makes the extra hours worth it to see the students and their family so proud.

3 Comments:

At 3:30 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Commencement is always a happy occassion since it celebrates both the accomplishments it took to get there and the hopes that lay ahead.

Of course, I truly feel for college graduates in this economy. They are facing a tough, competitive job market.

 
At 9:57 PM , Blogger MN Mom said...

How nice you could be there for them and to see who you gave up all the time and effort for. Helping someone else is the best feeling in the world.

 
At 6:01 AM , Blogger Crissy Rae said...

Glad to hear you had a good time there. I think now that we are out of school and can look back on it all, we appreciate more. I know I couldn't wait for commencement to end when I was in it but attending one and actually listening to the speakers might be totally different now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home