Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Daycare Debacle

Yesterday I received the voicemail from Ryan that said, "Call me as soon as you get this." Ok, not the first time I have received that message but with Miller in daycare, it puts me on high alert.

Ryan starts out with, "Are you sitting down?" Again, not the first time I have heard this but panic starts to set in and the contemplation of oh, oh...is it a parent that's sick, did someone die, is Miller ok (not in any order because I think they all were simultaneous). Then he quickly followed up with "Miller's ok." Ok...deep breaths.

Ryan proceeded to tell me the daycare fed Miller someone else's food. My first thought on this was "gross," then "what's it mean?". Well, someone, somehow, managed to feed Miller about an ounce of someone else's breast milk. I am thinking, it's not that big of a deal. Ryan had called the pediatrician (who confirmed, not a big deal). Daycare is covering their butt and requesting medical records from the mom and child that the milk belonged to. As long as they come back with no communicable diseases, everything is fine. The pediatrician said it might give Miller the runs (which was good, he hadn't pooped in 2 days) and not to worry about it. So, after the call, I knew everything was ok but I had to take some serious deep breaths and fight back some emotional tears. I am a worrier by nature but I know I have to stay calm and level headed with Miller. I am glad I didn't jump to the worst case scenario (big steps for me!) but I am glad I had the emotions afterwards. I can't stand the thought of him being hurt or sick.

I am wondering how the mix up occurred. Everything is labeled with color coded stickers (the formula, the breast milk, the bottles, you name it). I noticed his bottles came home with new stickers and a new band all the way around the bottle with his name on it. Hopefully this doesn't occur again to anybody else.

Onto other items related to daycare. This weekend was dedicated to Miller time and I loved it. (I also have the sore arms to prove I did a lot of holding and carrying.) Not seeing much of him during the week makes our time together so much more meaningful. Tonight I had to stay at work late (I knew ahead of time), so Ryan tried to keep Miller up until I got home so I could see him. I spent maybe a half hour with him before he went to bed. This is the down side to daycare. My time in the evenings is so limited. It's almost impossible to cram everything in to the few hours before bedtime. I wish we had 4 day work weeks and 3 day weekends.

Despite the limited time each night and the debacle with his food, daycare is going much better than I thought. Miller has also helped me reprioritize the way I look at things. Family has always been important and so has work. I think I am finding a happy balance rather than extremes of one or the other. That's enough thinking for me tonight. Time to go do some of those things I need to cram in before bed and spend time with my dog and hubby (again, no particular order). ;)

2 Comments:

At 7:53 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Miller didn't poop for 2 days?! He's more like his mom than we thought!

 
At 6:24 PM , Blogger Crissy Rae said...

With all the labels and color-coding, it's hard to believe there could be a mix-up but I suppose anything is possible!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home