Monday, August 25, 2008

Daycare for Miller

I feel better about sending Miller to daycare after getting his stuff organized today. We went in around 9:45am. I set up his food station, changing station, and his crib area. Before I went in, I printed a sheet up with "About Miller" statements such as "I like my dog, "Blue," and "I like to sit upright in a lap, a bouncer, in a swing," etc. I also printed a couple pictures of him to add to their charts to go with his name and sticker colors (color coded labels for everything).

We met his primary teacher, Miss Diana. Personally, she put my mind at ease more so than the other teachers. I could tell she had a degree in early childhood development. She was helping the other teachers fill out activity sheets that detail what the kids did for an activity and which developmental skills they worked on. She explained more to me and helped me get things ready rather than just pointing and saying "whatever" like the ladies last Friday. They might not have been as helpful since they weren't Miller's primary care person but they left me slightly hesistant. The kicker is they know each kid and his/her moods and signals so I know he will be taken well care of once they get to know him. I think they probably didn't help because they wanted me to work with Diana. I also met one of the substitutes who comes in part time to help when they have more kids. She was super nice and very "grandmotherly." They all assured me he would be ok and that this week will be the hardest on me.

One of the ladies kept telling me he says "mom" and "momma" when he gets fussy and hungry. I have teased Ryan about this because I think it's just his way of cooing but they said he knows. I don't think so but maybe he does know that "momma" will take care of him. His first word = momma??? That or "who" like an owl!

So tomorrow is going to be a rough day. No naps. No Miller. Lots of work. I hope Miller sleeps through the night like last night. That would make tomorrow a little easier on me than having to get up in the middle of the night. He slept 9:30-6:15 this morning (we woke him up!). I hope this is the new trend...



They also showed me the folder they keep on the kids. It has a calendar with days they observe "first" such as sitting, crawling, walking, hand-eye coordination, vocabulary, etc. They include pieces of art work and pictures taken at school.

I need to send some pictures of Ryan and I with him tomorrow for the family tree and his crib. I am going to ask Grandma and Grandpa to also send some pictures and we need to include Annie and Jazzy.

3 Comments:

At 3:19 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

It's hard to believe it's already day care and back to work time for you! Glad to hear it sounds like he will be a happy little camper though. Good luck during the transition...

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Sounds like you're much more at ease with daycare now that you've got him all prepared. Best of luck with the return to work tomorrow! At least you have some duds to wear!

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger MN Mom said...

Wondering how the day care is going and how you are doing without him all day?
Everytime Shannon sees Miller she tells me how good he is!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home