Tuesday, June 24, 2008

He's Awake!

Last night (and several other nights this week) Miller has decided he's a night owl and likes to be awake at night. Very disheartening for two parents that like to go to bed early and are dead tired. Last night I was scrutinizing my parenting skills. I was up at 2 am for a feeding, rocked, burped, waited a good half an hour before I put him back down and guess what, he was wide awake again! I swear his crib is the baby waker and not a sleeping place. He talked to himself for 45 minutes which kept me up until 3:30 when I decided to check on him since this was obviously not tiring him out. Needless to say he was laying in a wet spot. He must have spit up a little after I put him back down. So, I got up with him and decided since I was up, I would pump. Wouldn't you guess, 10 minutes into my session he decides to scream bloody murder. He wasn't wet, he wasn't hungry, he just wanted to be held and walked around. Ryan ended up getting up to help me out since my hands were tied. This was the point where I got super mad at myself. Why couldn't I soothe him? Why did it take over 2 hours from when I got up to feed him to get him back to sleep when during the day, he can't keep his eyes open?

Today he is wide awake. Maybe this is the beginning of switching his sleep cycle? I can only dream right? He is a smart one though. He knows as soon as those eyes are open, I come at him with his eye drops. He closes them every time. I figure dribbling a little on his eye counts as a partial dosage. Ryan is much better at catching him off guard.

Now that he's awake, what do I do with him? He's not quite into looking at toys or reading books. He isn't ready to sit up and bounce around...I guess I will put him in his swing or chair and let him work out another poo. I figure he can also come with me to the bathroom while I shower. Yesterday he didn't give me a chance to accomplish that task. Stinky mom and stinky baby. Ah, the joys of motherhood!

9 Comments:

At 10:26 AM , Blogger Jess said...

I can offer no help or advice. I know less about babies than I do about nuclear physics.

 
At 11:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

At this stage be thankful you can put him in a swing and he will stay seated and watch what ever TV you put on. He is learning other things right now so letting him sit and listen to things around him is just fine.
All babies go through a time figuring out day and night. He will get it in time.
Routine routine routine is what I was always told.
Hang in there babe your doing great.
Sheryl

 
At 11:35 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I think you're probably doing a good job. After all, you've put up with Ryan for a good many years, and how different was that than putting up with your progeny?

Anyways, what little bit of advice I can give you is not at all endorsed by anyone outside of the 18th/19th centuries. But that advice comprises of one word: Gin.

Apparently when the mothers had to work in the mines, they gave the baby a cloth soaked in Gin to keep it quiet.

Albeit, that's probably a REALLY bad idea...but I'm no mother so I have difficulty telling which advice I should just keep to myself.

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

I'm so not looking forward to those sleepless nights - doesn't sound fun!

 
At 1:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My children always liked me to sing them to sleep. However, I am not sure if they went to sleep just to get me to shut up or because they really liked my singing.....
Keep up the good work.
Coyote Mama

 
At 6:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well here's my two sense worth. It worked for us, but Valerie has turned out to be an angel so maybe we just got lucky.

I figured she was used to bouncing up and down inside SQKR, so we used the swiss workout ball (sit-up ball, gigantic blue thing). We would just hold her in our arms and bounce on the ball. The crankier she was the harder we bounced. She would always calm down doing that. Same with car rides. She just likes to be in fast motion. Rocking in the chair just isn't fast enough I guess. It's all worth it once you get through the "what the hell" part.
Thinking of you guys,
BCKR

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger Crissy Rae said...

I got nothing..although I like the big ball idea listed above me. Maybe the little man just likes to mess with his parents. He's already trying to break you guys in.

Good luck with the drops. I can only imagine how hard it must be to get those in his eyes.

 
At 11:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finding what works is the tricky part. You'll get through it though. One thing I stressed about was making sure she slept in her crib but some babies like to be more confined so car seats and strollers are often helpful sleep time tools. During the day you can keep him entertained simply with your voice. I had a friend tell me to sing and chit chat all day. At first I thought it seemed ridiculous, but now it's habit. When we're home alone we're "talking" and she loves it!
SQKR

 
At 7:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let SQKR fool you, she's been talking when she's alone for years:)

She's right about the confined space. We have a friend who always puts their boy to sleep using the stroller. She just straps him in (works good when he's fighting going to sleep) and pushes the stroller back and forth. He likes the action and you can point the screaming part away from your face:)

I want some video of Froyd playing guitar! I bet you're playing Glam Rock!!!

BCKR

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home