Thursday, January 03, 2008

Husband or Child?

First, I should have blogged this last night but I just didn't have time until now so the humor might be slightly different after a 24 hour lag but here it goes.

Background: Ryan likes new toys and hobbies. He continually has something he is interested in. With the holidays over, he assumes his purchasing rights are back on with no wait. If he has a want, satisfy it.

Last night: I arrived home from work (another story there but I will save that for another post) and see on the kitchen table amongst the junk mail and bills a large box. It was a Lego kit, Indiana Jones to be exact. I asked what it was for and why it was there; knowing full well it was because Ryan wanted it. He proceeded to tell me that it something he can share with the baby later on (that excuse is getting old and the kid isn't even done brewing inside me yet). He is going to a Lego party at the "Prince's" house and everyone has to bring Lego's. I instantly go into a rant using his own statements. "You are a grown ass man and you are going to "play" Lego's with your friends? How f-ing old are you?" He laughs at me and says Lego's are cool and it's ok. Then he adds, I got Indiana Jones for you since you like Harrison Ford. Ummm, yeah. I continued to mention that "REAL" Lego's are blocks and not wheels, headlights, and animals. After harassing him a while I said what if I said I was inviting the girls over to dress and play Barbi's. He told me "That's f-ing stupid." Hmmm...interesting.

Fast forward 10 minutes at the most: Karma supposedly smacked me because I was puking in the toilet again. Ryan came in to see me yack a couple times in the toilet and told me "that's disgusting." Nice observation dear. Eye roll from me. I decided it wasn't Karma but did hesitate to post this last night incase the Karma God's decided to wake me up at 2am and keep me awake until 4:30am like the night before.

Now, please feel free to comment on this. Is Ryan too old to be purchasing Lego's to play with his friends or do I need to revisit my childhood and throw a Barbi or Strawberry Shortcake party? I just want to know if they get together and actually "play" with them and make the Lego's talk, drive, ride, attack, kill, whatever it is that boys do with Lego's? This is so foreign. LBF better be a girl because I can't wait to see Ryan playing house, combing dolls hair, and dressing Barbi up.

12 Comments:

At 7:50 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Oh and I just learned it was a secret with what types of Lego's Ryan bought. You have to be kidding me! Dumb boys!

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Ah, boys and their toys. At least Lego's are relatively cheap. Could be snowmobiles and 4 wheelers!

 
At 7:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

O, I will comment on this!!! First of all, do you remember New Years Eve, we are going to retire one thing, the “Prince” is no longer! You will refer to me as “Jonny Fabulous”. Next off, leave you husband the F#@k alone! Legos are awesome!! Higgins, good call, we could be buying motorcycles, four wheelers or even swamp buggies. Let’s see….. a couple bucks for legos or 8 grand for……. I think the Legos are a good choice. Good day!

 
At 7:50 AM , Blogger Ryan said...

Yeah, what Jon said.

 
At 8:08 AM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

I don't know where to stand on the Lego issue since I believe my husband is responsible for this hobby and I have to go easy on the boys since I can be just as bad. For instance: if you decide on the Barbie party, I have a few and some handmade dresses we can use or I also have the Scooby Doo set. See! I'm as bad as the boys!
"Mrs. Fabulous"

 
At 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This might be the funniest post I have read in a long time! I would have paid big money to have been a mouse in the corner to witness this one!

As far as the legos go, I think it is pretty comical and I am actually surprised they haven't done this before now!

 
At 11:08 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Sorry Jonny Fabulous, I forgot that the "Prince" was retired. I thought it was that you "weren't feeling sexy." My sober mind was confused.

I agree the hobby is less expensive than others but you are "grown ass men." If you assemble them and talk over drinks it is less corny than actually playing with them.

 
At 1:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok- I did see the new Lego set mentioned in blog and thought it was pretty cool.
Let the boys play with Legos it is cheaper then some other hobbies and interests he has had.
BUT I do have to say the baby excuse is what would irk me. Please for starters the kid isn't even born yet. 2nd I don't think kids can play with Legos until age 10 or something. So if Ryan is going to keep the Legos boxed up for 10yrs down the road that is cool. Otherwise I'm with Erin on this.
Oh and Ryan, way to go on the sympathy for your wife that is carrying your child.

 
At 4:49 PM , Blogger MN Mom said...

Hmmm... grown men playing with Legos while smoking cigars - interesting combo!

Which means: I'm with you Erin.

 
At 8:50 PM , Blogger Froyd said...

aw, c'mon. who DOESN'T still play with legos?

Apparently girls. with cooties.

 
At 12:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Legos? Really? BKR's interest in cross country skiing and road biking has gotten expensive, but I'll thank the heavens that he hasn't begun filling our closets with Legos. There's hope. LBF will change everything. As you ponder your life in PUBLIX or SAMS or WALMART or TARGET spending ridiculous wads of $ on formula, diapers and my fave, moist butt wipe - all of which later end up in the trash, spewed on your furniture, carpeting or in your car - the stupid sh** taking precious closet space will make you furious. You will question your life and your marriage as you engage in battle after battle over space only to find that the baby ALWAYS wins. Start training Ryan now.... Your house and everything in it belong to baby. You will have no belongings. Life as he knows it is over. Sweet dreams :)

 
At 6:52 PM , Blogger KB_MI said...

Lego's, Sweet Lego's! I personally would go with the castle set so you can pull up the drawbridge when the Barbi's with cooties come to play "tea set" in the torture chamber! I am a bit disappointed that Lego's hasn't come up with anything gas powered, yet! Maybe you boys can fix that at your party.

Don't worry about what Sqkr said, when lbf is born you just buy things so they can do YOUR hobbies with YOU. In my case, a bike caddie for my road bike and a custum ski sled for my xc ski addiction. See, you can have your cake and eat it, too (even if the frostings pink like mine is!).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home