Monday, October 08, 2007

My computer is at the hospital

Monday morning-before 8am. I get to work "early" and log onto my email. Hmmm...my pst's (personal folders) are all collapsed. That's weird. Let me try opening them. "You do not have permission to open this file." WTF?!? Reboot. Shit, I received the same error. Time to call the help desk.

45 minutes later, no love and a ticket was opened for me. I proceed to answer the few emails in my inbox. Then I need a file so I go to my C: Drive. Oh F-Me! "You do not have permission to open this file." Panic is starting to set in. I haven't backed up my C drive in months....oh shit! Everything is on there. EVERYTHING! Call help desk back ASAP.

45 minutes later (it's now after 10am), less love and they appended my original ticket. No sense of urgency from the man on the phone and he doesn't seem to understand I can't do my job without any of the files I have been working on for weeks! Panic is definitely setting in with the glimmer of hope it just says I can't access them, I can still see them.

At 11:15 I can't take it anymore and go to the mysterious door without a label. They let me in, I plead my case, they say they will take a look at it. Another 45 minutes later they tell me to go back to my desk they will call me in 15 minutes. Half an hour later, I go down to the room and am told to try it, it works. Uh, no! It doesn't work. Now all my files are opening with wingdings and say they are corrupt! Starting to feel nauseous, sweating, pissed, and not wanting to hear what they have to say next. I ask for a loaner computer.

30 minutes later I am at my desk with my loaner computer. It is an APPLE 2E, I swear. It was the oldest monster on the face of the earth in lap top form and runs slower than molasses in 30 below temps. I get pissed and switch to webmail which wasn't much faster.

4pm I get a call. Ummm...we need to keep your computer overnight. We haven't finished running all of the diagnostics and it isn't looking good. Ok I say. It's not like you want to push the man who might save your soul by being snappy with him.

Then the true moment of panic set in. I have class tonight! All of my seminar notes are on that computer. I know I backed up a couple months ago...it should have my seminars saved on the shared drive. Victory, I salvaged tonight's and the next 2.

Before I go into doomsday mode, I am holding a little hope out for them to save my documents. If not...the next couple months are going to be a witch at work and at home prepping for class again.

The only light at the end of the tunnel was that my seminar went well. Granted, I couldn't host my office hours since I can't load AIM or meebo.com on my computer at home. Not sure why but I was not in the mood to trouble shoot.

I sure hope tomorrow is better.

4 Comments:

At 10:40 PM , Blogger MN Mom said...

Didn't you learn anything from Shannon's near death computer disaster?...Back up everything everyday.
I know your pain I will include you in my prayers. (And yes computer disasters of that magnitude qualify.)

 
At 2:54 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Glad to hear it is now back up and functioning. That would suck!

 
At 7:44 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

Stay away for the vodka cranberries, Long Island Ice Teas, and jag - that's what really did me in after my computer crashed.
"Shannonagins!"

 
At 7:45 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

Oops, I meant "from"... apparantly I am still reeling from the after effects all these months later.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home