Sunday, September 30, 2007

Camping in the Keys

Camping in the Keys was fun. It was hot as hell on a summer afternoon and once you got used to drinking vast amounts of water and gatorade, it wasn't too bad. We grilled up some grub, watched the sun set, had some wading and swimming time, drinks, cards, campfires, and fishing (I caught two fish and one of them was the largest catch of the day). The boys did a little snorkeling and canoing while I napped in the shade.

I am torn between camping in the Keys and at Corbit in the woods. The nice thing about this park was that it had bathrooms and showers. The bad thing is that Annie had to stay leashed and the campsites were so close together it was noisy. Corbit on the other hand is very secluded (no bathrooms or showers) and isn't on the water that you can use for swimming or activities other than fishing from land and looking for gators at night. The group decided we might mix it up and camp at both-one in the fall and one in the spring. My vote would be to camp when it isn't 100+ degrees at night without a breeze and the "little f-ing bugs" don't eat your flesh. I look like I have chicken pox. Obviously OFF doesn't work on those "noseeums" (phonetic spelling courtesy of my husband). Hopefully the itch and redness goes away soon.

Now after a long weekend of playing, it's time to get some school work done and some real work homework done.

3 Comments:

At 3:45 PM , Blogger Jess said...

I discoved more bites when I got home! Man alive.

I think both spots are good camping destinations and I do think alternating them would be a good idea.

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

I'm glad I missed out on the bug bites - that doesn't sound fun!

 
At 3:11 PM , Blogger MN Mom said...

The bug bites, the hot and sticky all of it...is why I don't camp!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home