Thursday, September 27, 2007

Why is there always one?

Or two in my case. I felt pretty bad for posting what I did yesterday (bad grammar on my part and for ragging on my students) but I have decided that today instead of mocking them, I am going to try to help them.

I have one student who has tried to submit her assignment 5+ times. That's right folks, nothing is coming through. I have sent multiple messages asking questions so I can help pin point where she is missing a step, I have sent multiple screenshots with directions, and advised her to call tech support or her advisor. In my last ditch effort before I left work tonight I sent an even more detailed message. I know I should just break down and call her but here's the deal-I teach online and don't work in tech support for a reason. Students like her aren't the ones I can help with a 5-10 minute call. I know I will be on for an hour at the bare minimum and frankly-I don't think she is cut out for online learning.

When I got home tonight, I had an email from her. Besides the lack of a sentence or spelling, she doesn't know how to use email. I have yet to receive an email with text in the body-it is always written in the subject. So, my next attempt at help is going to include how to email and a strong suggestion to visit the writing center. I might still break down and call her tonight but I am really dreading it.

You are probably thinking about the two I mentioned. Well, most people have that "one" person in class. I have two. I have another girl that can turn in her assignments but again, no basic grammar or spelling and it is always in BOLD CAPS. I don't think it is an eyesight issue because every time I remind her she will type normally. This student has worked ahead and submitted the next two units of homework. I am going to gently remind her she should wait until we have covered the material. I took a peak at them to see if she was at least on target but since her writing is so bad, it isn't meeting the minimum standards or the assignments objectives. Of course I will encourage her to resubmit after we get in the unit but something tells me it isn't going to happen. Oh, and she submits her posts before she finishes the sentence and then posts the second half in another post. So, although I struggle with the same problems as onground instructors, the technology portion always adds a nice twist to my day.

The good news is I can teach naked and no one would know. I won't ever have the chance of having my blouse lose a button in the front of my class :) Wish me luck. I am going to do some more outreach and possibly a phone call.

6 Comments:

At 7:13 PM , Blogger MN Mom said...

Naked outreach...naked phone call...I think there is another name for this?

 
At 9:11 AM , Blogger Froyd said...

sometimes you gotta just let 'em fail. I've got one student who hasn't been to class since the first two days, and who somehow thinks it's still possible to pass...he tells me this via email rather than actually showing up for class.

there's a line you need to draw: you're teaching education (I assume) not computer usage. Let that be that and tell them that unless they talk to someone and get up to speed on how to use the comp, they will fail the class. The more time you spend teaching them how to use the computer, the less that will actually sink in re: education.

 
At 9:30 AM , Blogger Jess said...

While I agree with Froyd to an extent, I do also think that the reality of higher ed today means that instructors end up teaching students not just the course material, but we also them them "how to be a college student." So, you have the added part to teach: "how to be an online student."

So, I think you're right to try and help both students to the best of your ability. However, just like they can fail with the material, they can also fail at being students -- and sometimes that happens first.

 
At 9:30 AM , Blogger Jess said...

"teach them" not "them them"
Clearly, I'm no better than any of your students at typing.

 
At 10:23 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Oh, one day I will post a sample but I am waiting for one that will knock your socks off.

I agree with both of you. I am pretty lenient with helping students learn how to be a good student but I have some lines that I don't let them cross. As far as the girl I thought about calling last night; I decided not to. There is plenty of help she can utilize within our university and like I said, I no longer work in tech support.

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger Froyd said...

of course, another question I failed to ask is what level student are we dealing with? If they're freshmen, certainly a deal of latitude must be given.

teaching students to be students is all well and good if they're just coming in from the workplace or from high school, but even there a certain line is crossed when they don't listen on the third or fourth time.

Then the responsibility comes to getting them out of the class before they do their future serious damage because of a failing grade.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home