Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Monday night class-drama

Last night I was excited to teach the HR unit that went oh so badly last time I taught. So far, no one had posted any comments on the discussion board that agreed with the idea that deciding against hiring the best qualified person because she was pregnant was ok.

About a half hour before class, I received an email stating there were technical problems with the seminars. I thought, oh great, this will be fun. Then I started receiving emails from the CTO and the Executive Director of the tech team about the issues asking me for some info. Ughh! I started my class and they were having problems while I was on email and aim with multiple students and co-workers. Then I got booted from class. Eventually I was able to log back in and started class.

I got through the lesson and it was a success because two students were very excited to participate (we created a mock job description, held the interview, and role played). The rest of the class were bums and didn't really get into it. We stayed online 15 minutes after our normal class would have ended to wrap up.

Just now I checked the discussion boards and there was a heated debate between two people about whether they were discriminating or not. One hurt the feelings of the other but I don't think he was pinpointing anyone in the class, just supporting his argument (which in my opinion was right). Damage control time-I had to remind them that everyone is entitled to their opinions, the discussion was good, and to remember to be sensitive to their peers. You would think they were 13 years old sometimes.

Next week is the economics unit-YUCK!

1 Comments:

At 11:54 AM , Blogger Froyd said...

fail 'em.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home