Monday, April 30, 2007

Is there such thing as a stupid question?

It is in every teacher's vocabulary that there is no such thing as a stupid question (except the one you don't ask). Tonight, I seriously question myself about that one.

My class is a very enthusiastic group of learners but man, some of them are so dense. I keep trying to think back and remember what my freshman courses were like. To me a 5 page reading with pictures on each page and less than a full page of text seemed like a breeze. Then to top it off with interactive activities and a full week to do it in...These studentst are having a tough time completing it! Am I hardened after coming off of 40-60 page reading assignments each week?

I really like interacting with them but I think I am more of a counselor than teacher. Although, I did have to explain some very basic vocabulary tonight. I didn't have examples prepped (note to self for next week) so I had to make them up on the fly. We had a full hour of a productive seminar again and I asked them at the end if I need to change anything up. They all said no, they like the format (which is good because I don't know how much changing I could do). I need to get better open ended questions in there that make them think but considering how I started this post....that might be wishful thinking on my part.

All in all, 2/10 weeks are complete. Whew! Like it so far.

8 Comments:

At 10:18 PM , Blogger Froyd said...

I'm tellin' ya, fail them. Makes life easier!

 
At 7:28 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Oh don't worry. Some of them will be failing all on their own.

 
At 10:45 AM , Blogger Jess said...

There are stupid questions. Like the ones that ask you something right after you just explained it or answered the same question. Those people weren't paying attention, and yes, they are stupid.

 
At 3:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember that most freshmen are only doing the school thing to get their parents off their back or because its easier then getting a real job and they really don't know what they want to be. I didn't like doing my assignments until my jr or sr year.

 
At 11:29 PM , Blogger Froyd said...

that's a good question...does kaplan go for regular students, or do they go for adult students?

 
At 8:09 AM , Blogger Erin said...

They go for whatever has a pulse and a ss# just like any other for-profit school.

Honestly, I have traditional freshman straight out of high school and adult learners. No better, no worse.

 
At 9:38 AM , Blogger Froyd said...

then there's only one thing to do...FAIL THEM!

 
At 10:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ass 1 of yer studense, i thinc itz nut funni to mack fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home