Monday, March 26, 2007

What a Day

Tonight in the midst of celebrating a birthday and a promotion I received the dreaded call where once you answer it, you know it is bad news. My skating coach and a friend of the family died after a battle with cancer. Approximately 4 months ago I received word she was very ill. I cried like a baby and felt horrible. I had been at the rink with her since I was 6 years old; was a student, an apprentice, and a peer as I grew older. I have a ton of memories and learned many life lessons from her. It is certainly a different sad than when a family member dies but at the same time, very hard to accept. Knowing she lasted long enough to attend one of her daughters weddings is comforting to know and hopefully meant a lot to her family. I have already thought of a million different things of what I would like to write in a sympathy card but as odd as life is; I just read this sentence tonight out of a book I received at graduation taht I think is very fitting of Cathy:

"Although it may not be on your mind right now, the wisdom you glean from your joys and hardships can always be shared with someone else and, by doing so, you will leave the world a little better than when you found it."

Thank you Cathy for the wonderful times and wisdom you passed along. You have touched many lives when your own world wasn't so colorful. The rest I will save in a prayer for you and your family.

3 Comments:

At 8:02 AM , Blogger Jess said...

I'm so sorry to hear that!

 
At 3:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its hard to loose someone who played such an important role in our lives but with Cathy remeber she was one of those people that always lived life to the fullest and didn't let anyone put her down. She was a strong positive person and I think she taught a lot of people that. She was a great teacher and even more a great friend. If you need to smile take a look at some of those old picts from Fantsy on Ice and shake your head at the costumes you used to wear. If yours are not funny enough I'll send you mine.

 
At 6:39 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Isn't that the truth. I have 13 years of ice show pictures and I don't think many were very flattering! :)

I am going to miss her but I am proud to have known her, learned from her, and enjoyed her company. Thanks for the post Sheryl.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home