Thursday, September 07, 2006

Surveys

For my research class I had to do a needs assessment survey. I crafted an 11 question survey this weekend and sent it to approximately 11 or 12 people. (The requirement was only 10 so I built in a little cushion). I have had a pretty good response rate so far with only 2 people not replying so far and the deadline is for tomorrow. I guess when you send surveys to other educators who know the value of a survey, they feel more compelled to fill them out and return them.

I usually try to do diligence when I receive a survey in the mail. If I can answer the questions in 5-10 minutes, fine. Phone surveys are another issue. I can't stand talking to a telemarketer who gets paid by the leads they trap or surveys they complete. I feel really bad for them and truly try to cut them off before they get started. I think the reason I usually end those surveys early is they always catch me at an inopportune time.

When I was unemployed and looking for a job (when I first moved to FL) I was at the mall and was asked to take a survey on underwear. I then agreed to participate in a study and took three different styles of underwear and wore them, documenting and charting different things for a week or two. I got to keep the underwear and I think I received $10 in the mail or something. I actually enjoyed participating because I was fresh out of school and had just completed my own research and thesis. The funny thing is that it is 5 years later and I still have the underwear! They are actually quite comfortable and I think that they heard my suggestions because the production ones in the stores fit even better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home