Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Burn-out, Sarcasm, and Humor

So I doubled up a post and had a brain of mush that couldn't read the delete function. This was caused by burn-out at work. I still had enough common sense to filter my sarcastic reponse to Jess. In my mushy brain, it was humorous. Does anyone think that stress/burn-out, sarcasm, and humor are the three stages leading up to a pure breakdown? I haven't cried yet so I know I have one more level to go. I just might complete my masters without a school related break down.

Work has been really stressful because there are too many things going on for me to comfortably manage plus huge issues that keep arising. I know I am managing them but like I said, not in my comfort level. This leads to a very tired girl who then comes home after 12 hour work days to do homework. The type of things at work cause way too much thinking so not only am I physically tired, I am mentally exhausted. Since it is my final term, I am eager to finish but don't want to give up my 4.0 which leads to extra pressure on myself. I know...don't lecture me. I have been dealing with my own perfection for years now.

To top all of this off, I know I have been a bad wife. Please, heads out of the gutter. I have been bad at holding up my end of the "equal" part of marriage. I seldom cook, I don't get groceries anymore, and even my cleaning has dwindled (I know that is hard for some of you to believe). Laundry...well, I never really did that from the beginning so I don't feel remorseful there. I do know that I don't spend much time with my hubby but he seems to enjoy that.

Tonight there was a new video game and dvd's sitting on the table when I came home. Not to mention he has resumed his remote control airplane and car racing hobbies that sat unused or thought of prior to me going back to school. Little does he know...those days are numbered. 6 weeks baby...then I will be back to full nagging and annoying stage!

I am in a funk that I hope will lift soon. I am on a committee at work (not by choice) and that adds a minimum of 8 hours of additional work to my work week without any relief of my normal duties. Tomorrow is going to be a long day since I have to prepare for my weekly update on Friday. Normally, I would be eager and hopping on this because I really enjoy it but this week has sucked too much for anything to be fun.

Sorry for the downer post. I needed to vent.

3 Comments:

At 8:33 AM , Blogger Froyd said...

Which video game was it?

 
At 4:29 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Ryan's too busy worrying about how I'm gonna' smoke him in the race on Sunday to be too worried about his absent wife.

As to the hectic schedule you now have (which is understandably stressful and panic-inducing), there are three things I always keep in mind:

1. "This too shall pass."
Helps me remember that everything (even things that are painful or difficult) comes to an end.

2. "Tomorrow is another day."
Ah, Scarlet O'Hara's version of procrastination. Every day is a fresh opportunity, and this always feels hopeful to me.

3. If neither of the two above mentioned thoughts are comforting, there is always Xanex. If you're brain can't provide refief naturally, psycopharmacology can provide it for you.

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger Erin said...

The bottle of wine also helped calm my nerves. The worst part is I know those things in my head but I can't keep my mind and body from reacting. Ah, at least tomorrow is Friday.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home