Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sleeping Arrangements

Growing up, all I ever wanted was for our yellow lab, Sissy, to sneak upstairs and sleep on the bed with me. This was NOT allowed and she knew better. I gave up trying with her and said one day when I get my own dog, she could sleep in my room with me.

After she passed on to doggy heaven; my parents got a greyhound. Cheer was not allowed on the bed but he slept in my parent's room. In the morning, my mom allowed him on the bed for a morning snuggle. Interestingly, by the time the second greyhound arrived, they were allowed on the beds for more snuggle time but not for bedtime. I couldn't sneak either of those dogs onto my bed; I had downgraded to a twin.

When Ryan and I adopted Annie, we didn't let her sleep on the bed with us. Over time, I did the same thing my mom did and let her sneak up for loves. When Ryan went out of town, I let her sleep on the bed. Eventually she started sneaking up in the middle of the night and we would wake up with her in between us.

Now we have a king size bed and she has her own spot that she proudly claims each night. No more sneaking.

Before I was pregnant, Jazzy (the cat) had started sleeping on the bed too. Then I switched sides with Ryan so I had a better "straight" shot to the bathroom in the middle of the night. She stopped sleeping with us (I am sure my tossing and turning had something to do with it). Now I am back on my normal side and our sleeping arrangements are as follows:

Jazzy, Erin's feet tucked in at an angle, Annie, space, Ryan. Somehow, Annie knows to lay at the bottom but always favors my side over Ryan's. He claims she squishes us both but I look at the real-estate space and my contorted position and know it's not 50/50.

Although I love them snuggling with me, I want my bed back. So, when Annie kicks the bucket, her replacement will not be allowed on the bed; EVER. As for Jazzy, I figure that cat will live forever so I am just going to have to get used to my foot warmer (who occasionally bites my toes).

As you may have guessed, we don't allow the kids in the bed. We made the mistake with our fur babies and won't make it with our human babies. Otherwise we wouldn't have room to breathe.

1 Comments:

At 3:58 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Scooter and I battle every night for MY foot space. I wish we had a king bed just so we'd have more space for him -- but, he'd probably STILL lay exactly where I want to!

Ever since Norah moved to her big girl bed, she comes into our room when she wakes up in the morning and she climbs into bed with us. I actually like the snuggles. But, those only last a few minutes before she's demanding juice and asking us to turn on Sesame Street.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home