Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Working From Home VS The Office

I recently changed jobs (well, it's been almost 7 or 8 weeks) and really do like my new position, team, and responsibilities. I have a lot to learn and am far from proficient but I am getting there. I also love the change of pace. I have had to relearn how to work under much less pressure and few to no intetruptions. Yes, you read that correctly. It is amazing how after being intertuption driven and having competing priorities for years my brain has had to relearn how to concentrate and focus.

One of the perks of the new job is that I can work from home 3 days a week. Without any distraction or office chatter, I am pretty much struggling to pace my work so I don't get it all done right away. I know my workload is light and it will increase but I seriously can bust through so many things without any intertuptions in a fraction of a work day. This probably sounds like a good problem to have. The problem with it for me is I find myself struggling to stay occupied and wishing I had someone to talk to.

Then I go in the office 2 days a week and I am amazed at how little I get done. It's great to talk to people (socially and work related) but what a time suck. I feel like I am there but hardly accomplishing any "tasks."

I have spoken to a few other people who have similar work situations and they agreed that the hardest mindset change is that when you are in the office, your networking, meeting, face to face time "is your work." It's a good way to look at it and one day I will get there.

1 Comments:

At 3:04 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Glad you like your new position. And, it sounds liek the time at home and the time in the office is a good balance of productivity and socializing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home