Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami

Taking a break from pregnancy and potty training updates...a giant tsunami hit Japan today. There are reports that it will affect Hawaii and possibly the west coast of the US. I don't know what it is about natural disasters but they can lure me into a comatose state waiting and watching for updates. I feel very lucky we are not involved or know of any friends or family that will be directly affected. My heart goes out to the people affected.  I couldn't imagine having that type of destruction wipe out our house, belongings, work, safety, etc.

The irony (if you can call it that) was that yesterday south FL had a storm front move through. It resulted in 55 and 60+ mph winds, uprooted trees, and two tornado touchdowns. As the storm was ramping up and I was safe and dry inside, I thought about how the newscasters must be ramping up for their normal doom and gloom that comes with hurricane season. I actually turned on the news last night (rare occurance at our house around supper time) and watched the updates. Then it quickly reminded me why I normally avoid the news (so overly dramatic).

This morning, I went to look up an address on the computer and saw the bold red banner announcing the tsunami. I instantly scanned the info mainly because Ryan mentioned a co-worker/friend being in China for work. Since he's not always the best with geography, I quickly quizzed him to make sure she wasn't in Japan. Since I read that first article, I have watched the local news, read a few articles online, and watched a few broadcasts online. I feel compelled to see what is going on. Now compare this to the trouble in the middle east...that's about all I know. There is trouble in the middle east and the only impact I am aware of is rising gas prices and falling stocks (thank you news today). Something tells me I have my priorities backwards and should be actively learning about what else is going on in the world besides natural disasters, Charlie Sheen, and Lilo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home