Thursday, June 11, 2009

Speedy Gonzales

I got pulled over today literally less than 50 feet from our parking lot. Talk about a shitty way to start my day. You may wonder, how did you manage that one? Simple. There is a road behind our building I take every morning and evening to avoid an extra stoplight that takes forever to get a green arrow. The road is empty and there's a stretch with no ins or outs to offices because it's wild jungle. I haven't seen a stalker cop back there in over a year. Today, he pointed his radar gun at me from behind a light pole in the driveway before ours. I had just flipped on my turn signal. I honestly thought the road had a 45 mph speedlimit but nope. I got clocked going 44 in a 30.

I pulled in, rolled down my window. Started to unbuckle my seat belt and quickly strapped that back on. I turned down the radio (a little) and said good morning. All the cop said was license, registration, and insurance. I had them for him but it took me a while to sort through my registrations to make sure I had a current one. At that point...I started to shake because I was so mad. He never said a word to me until "I am writing you up for going 44 in a 30. Sign here, it doesn't admit guilt but says you will take care of this within 30 days." I had all these stories race through my head like "but officer, this is my first ticket and I am feet away from my destination, can you give me a warning?" but I knew I was guilty, he was a prick, and nothing was going to change that.

I went in to work (which I was headed in early for an 8am meeting and wasn't even running late for). I called Ryan, he teased me, I started crying. Then my coworker came in and started bugging me and I cried some more. I am lucky it was just a speeding ticket and not an accident or a DUI. I was just so upset because I consider myself a pretty good driver and can't believe I got a ticket.

Now I have to figure out the easiest and cheapest way to take care of it. Everyone says do the pay a guy to represent you...I am concerned about that because I don't understand how they can waive the points and make so little money on me that it's legal. I know I was in the wrong...any advice from fellow Florida violators?

4 Comments:

At 9:08 PM , Blogger Ryan said...

I find it is good practice to just obey the law.

 
At 6:52 AM , Blogger Jess said...

This is your first ticket? Ever? Oh my goodness, how have you been driving for 15 years and have never had a speeding ticker? Well, it's about time you popped that cherry!

I've never had a ticket in FL, but personally, I've always just sucked it up and paid tickets. The only thing that truly sucks is that for most insurance, the ticket will affect your rates for 36 months.

 
At 5:26 PM , Blogger Crissy Rae said...

I've only been a MN violator but paying the ticket is the way I've always gone. Either way, you'll fork out money for it so I'd do it the easiest way possible, you naughty violator!

 
At 10:45 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

I'll ask my parents but they always tell me the best thing is to get the ticket reduced to less than 10 miles over and then pay it. I don't know if you work that out with the cop or in court though. I've only been pulled over once, but I was lucky to get a warning. Jon got a ticket once though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home