Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's Official

A while ago I posted about my work dilema. Should I take a new job at a sister company or stay with my current company? I was torn and on the fence for several reasons. Then the offer came for the job with the sister company and I had to laugh. Granted, it carried a substantial raise from my current position but not substantial enough to make me leap at the offer. The drama then followed with my company giving me a better offer (no mention of pay increase) but the career path was better, the reporting structure was better, and I have to tell you, they made me feel wanted again. So, after meeting with way too many executives, VPs, and HR, I made my decision to stay where I am. One of the main reasons is because I knew deep down I would be bored with the other job within 6 months to a year.

Today I met with my boss and he told me it was official and my pay was bumped up about 5K more than the other job's offer (can't complain about that). The only bummer in the whole situation is I know that if I took this position as an outsider, they would pay me more. I also know several of my peers make more money, have less responsibility, and honestly suck at their job. So, when told the salary, I told my boss this. Well, I told him I knew I would make more if I came from the outside and that my peers made more money, is this negotiable? He said "No." I said "Ok, thank you." I didn't mean to be ungrateful but they do walk all over me.

Hopefully with my new boss, we will put some measurements and goals in place. If I meet or exceed, I would hope to see a promotion or substantial raise next year. I am NOT holding my breath. My current boss claims I am would be ready for a promotion. I think he's smoking crack and saying that to keep me interested but a girl can hope.

I am official now. The announcement should be made in the next week or so. I don't care, my pay is retroactive for....wait for it...the last 4 days! Again, what a whopping difference. Thank you upper management. Forget that I have been doing this job for 5+ months. I love corporate America.

BTW, I am not ungrateful. I am pretty darn happy and lucky that this is working out so well when others are happy to keep a job. I just have to vent about the fact I know I am still getting screwed. Oh well. Money talks and that extra money will help Miller's future school fund.

4 Comments:

At 7:52 AM , Blogger Jess said...

Congrats on both the promotion and the raise!!

 
At 11:10 AM , Blogger Froyd said...

Miller gets a school fund?! LUCKY!

 
At 6:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the promotion. Re: the school fund....Miller will be one of those kids that have everything paid for, I am afraid. He had better appreciate it!
Coyote Grandma

 
At 7:20 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Not everything. That kid needs to learn responsibilities and the value of hard work and a dollar. He may not have to haul wood in the winter to earn an allowance or shovel side walks but he will have chores and a job like Ryan and I did. Plus, college in 18 years is probably going to be quite the chunk of change!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home