Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mama and Baby Class Update

I felt a little better today but still experienced numb arms and a dizzy spell. At least it didn't continue (the dizzy spell) all day long like yesterday.

As for baby class...It might be best to list this in list form with a little commentary.

Pro's/Good Things:
1) Easily found it and the hospital is only a 15 minutes away via the expressway. Only note to self is to keep the sunpass loaded with some money.
2) Nice instructor but not a quality/engaging instructor.
3) Lots of handouts and a good book included in our package for the course.
4) The instructor mixed up powerpoint slides, ramblings, and other visuals to keep us semi-awake.
5) We cover the birth process, breathing and relaxation techniques, basic childcare (diapering and bathing), breast feeding, and massage. Also a visit from the neonatalist or the anethesiologist (spelling?).

Con's/Bad Things:
1) Time commitment (two times a week for three weeks and from 7-9:30pm).
2) Instructor is monotone and repeats everything at least 3 times. She could speed it up and cover the content in a much shorter time if she would quit repeating herself. Also, she isn't the best "engaging" speaker. For an uncomfortable first night, there wasn't much of an ice breaker. We had even prepped for the uncomfortable round robin we thought we would have to participate in.
3) Powerpoints are old and not well put together (that's just my personal gripe since we use it all the time at work).
4) Relaxation...first of all, I have no desire to practice breathing in front of strangers in a well lit room. Yes, I know it preps you for labor but still. Second, I felt like poo yesterday and it was past my prime time for stripping down into pjs and getting in bed. Practicing "relaxation" techniques with strangers when neither Ryan or I were in the mood was almost impossible. I glanced around the room and most people seemed into it. I was tapping my fingers, brushing my hair out of my face, twitching, etc. We KNOW I can't relax and this was not the time or place to learn it. Plus the instructor just kept "counting" and talking us through it. I noticed Ryan was getting impatient too when this just kept going on and on and on...I think we both thought about getting up and leaving during it.
5) Room full of preggos means there should be more than 1 planned bathroom break in a 2.5 hour span after dinner. Enough said there.

Ryan is harping on me to come listen to a new Motley Crue song on Rockband. That is much more interesting than practicing breathing.

Thanks for the concerned comments. Hopefully nothing is wrong with me or baby and I will be back to normal very soon.

3 Comments:

At 9:03 PM , Blogger Jess said...

There's a common complaint that is heard often from students; they call it "death by PowerPoint" and I have to agree with them. I think PowerPoint is about the most boring thing in the world, and never ever use it in my class.

I think it's valuable though to go to the class. Even if you don't get much out of it, you will rest better knowing that you tried it. Otherwise, you'd probably wonder what they talked about that you missed.

 
At 5:53 PM , Blogger Froyd said...

powerpoint is da debbil.

 
At 6:19 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

Especially because people make bad power points where it says everything and then they read it to you... argh!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home