Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Glucose Test Day

Today was my glucose test day (testing for gestational diabetes-routine for all preggos). After hearing the horror stories of how awful the sugar mixture would be to drink, I think I had prepped myself for a bad experience. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. The stuff they gave me to drink had been chillin in the fridge since my last visit so it was definitely cold. It was clear and "lemon lime" flavored. Not the cola or orange soda flavor everyone warned me about. It was thicker than water but not as thick as I had assumed it would be. Luckily it was only 5 oz so that went down in 3 swigs.

After I drank it, I had an hour to get to the dr. and have them draw blood. I headed out, arrived with 15 minutes to spare and checked in. They asked me what time I needed to be tested and then called me in a few minutes before I "expired." I had a nice lab lady draw my blood. The only hitch was they split the blood as they draw it and one vial didn't fill so they had to work some magic while I looked away. Still 100 times better than the day they drew the 100 vials of blood (I think it was 6 or 8 but it felt like 100 that time).

The sugar obviously made me feel a little off since I normally stay away from it. I would compare it to eating several dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in one sitting and washing it down with a Dunkin Donuts Coolata. Yep, pretty darn sweet.

I am not sure when I get my results back. I forgot to ask. I figured if they don't call within a week, I will check in. Otherwise, on my next visit in 2 weeks I will find out. Cross your fingers I passed because the next test takes 3 hours and is ickier.

2 Comments:

At 8:14 AM , Blogger Jess said...

I've never had blood drawn. I mean, I had my finger pricked when I was a kid, but otherwise, never.

I think one of the scariest things about being preggo (aside from the whole giving birth to a child that you are responsible for for the rest of your life)is all the needles. And the stay in the hospital. Ack.

I'm sure the test went fine, and at least it's over with now.

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger Crissy Rae said...

I'm sure your test results will be fine. You've been a good girl with the sweets, caffeine, alcohol, etc so this should turn out just fine. Bet you want some of those above-listed goodies now, huh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home