Sunday, January 07, 2007

Cursed Potatoes

Why? All I ask is Why? I made a new dish last night that had potatoes in it. For as long as I can remember, no meal with potatoes in it were ever fully ready on time. My mother couldn't cook an instant potato much less a baked one. Even the box mix au gratins were a challenge. As you can see where this is going...my dish didn't turn out either. The recipe called for quartered red potatoes (first mistake, I should cut them in eighths or sixteenths). Then it said to nuke them for 7 minutes. I did 10 since I know my luck with them. Then I was supposed to add them to a dish and bake for 50-55 minutes at 350. Well...I put them in the oven and 90+ minutes later with the heat turned up to 450 by the end, they were still rock hard! Of course it wouldn't have been so bad but I had invited friends over for dinner and I know this wasn't the first hard potato experience with them. The dish tasted good as long as you skipped the potatoes. Looking back, it said to bake it in a 13x9 greased pan but I had an air bake pan...do you think that could have made the difference? Hmmm...from now on, I will stick to only mashed potatoes that come in a package where all you do is boil water, add contents of package, and fluff.

In other news...Jess is running her marathon today. She should be crossing the finish line soon and I am anxious to hear how she did. Her blog is full of well wishes so I know with that much cheering going on, she will surprise herself with her own running success.

3 Comments:

At 10:08 AM , Blogger Jess said...

I never quite trust nuking potatos as a way of cooking them; generally, if they need softening before baking, I boil them for about ten minutes -- until you can ram a fork through them without resistance. But, I can't remember the last time I actually cooked a potato, so who am I to give advice?

Thanks for the marathon "shout out" and all the congratulatory stuff at home -- very much appreciated!!

P.S. As per your fitness goals, now that I am not bound to a running schedule, I was thinking of incorporating other things as a break from running -- perhaps walking one or two days a week? We could walk together and it would give you a break from biking; let me know what you think -- we could take the hounds and trade off places.

 
At 3:54 PM , Blogger Froyd said...

sometimes the you cook the spuds, and sometimes the spuds cook you.

 
At 8:17 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Walking and mixing things up is a good idea. We will connect later.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home