Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Spyware sucks

It seems that every time I get in a crunch with school work, spyware attacks my computer! I have an anti-virus and clean my cache and history quite often. I never download music and most of the sites I visit are pretty normal (a couple blogs, email, MSN, etc.). Tonight I suffered through the latency and annoying pop-ups because I had a ton to do. I have run some anti-spyware removal crap a couple times and shut down and restarted. Still no love. I am crossing my fingers that after I clean it up one more time tonight and shut down, some miracles will happen by morning.

Wish me luck (and if anyone has any great tips, please pass them along).

6 Comments:

At 11:22 PM , Blogger Froyd said...

spybot and adaware are great programs, but most of the time they fail to get into the registry to remove the commands running the program.

Also, I suggest using Firefox. It's-a very nice. IE is the crap.

 
At 7:36 AM , Blogger Erin said...

OK, tried those two...now what?

I have this lovely blue screen instead of my backdrop/wallpaper that says something about my IP being accessed by another computer (spyware) and that I am a high risk with the lovely click here link that takes you to an ad to purchase more antivirus software. That same popup comes up every 5 minutes.

I am in a panic since I have 3 weeks left of school and all my stuff is on my desktop (I did copy most of it, need to burn the rest tonight). The weird thing is usually when this happens, it does the same thing to Ryan's profile. This time it is only on mine...

 
At 9:40 AM , Blogger Froyd said...

you may have to reformat and reinstall everything.

I don't know. It's tough to do tech support when the comps not in front of you.

or take it to a comp shop and have them clean it out.

 
At 11:26 AM , Blogger Jess said...

Our computer is currently "highly infected." It pisses me off because we too have an anti-virus program, which is apparnelty worthless.

I also have the lovely blue screen! Maybe your computer sneezed on my computer and gave it a disease?

I actually suspect something with Comcast as the culprit.

 
At 11:44 AM , Blogger Froyd said...

knowing comcast, that MAY be the problem. But I'd take it to a local shop. They usually have it cleaned out within an afternoon, and will have a better idea of how to stop this from happening in the future.

 
At 2:26 PM , Blogger Erin said...

So, how do I back everything up...what do I even back up? Man, this blows. I don't have time for this. I have 5 papers left to write and a weekly homework!

thanks for the tips though. I also got one from a coworker I am going to try before I start rebooting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home