Sunday, July 22, 2012

Customer Service...Just a Little Please

When I first moved to Florida, I was appalled by the terrible customer service. Over time, I have become accustomed to the lack of service and honestly, become somewhat rude myself. Today, I have to applaud myself for controlling the desire to be a bitchy customer.

I ran over to Kolh's to return something. *I have to caveat this with normally, I do not run into issues with their staff or store. If I did, I wouldn't shop there no matter how convenient or how many "deals" they have. I waited for over 3 songs worth of time while the one and only clerk waited on another lady around the corner. In that time span, 2, yes, 2 people came behind the counter and neither acknowledged I was standing there. Next, the actual service rep walked over, did something and went back to helping the other person. All I wanted was a quick "hello" or "someone will be with you in a bit."

My 30 seconds of time to return my item was followed with a little shopping. When I was near checking out, I headed back to the jewelry counter. Ryan need a watch and I knew what I wanted to see/purchase. I stood there. I walked around the counter. No one in sight. Finally, I spot 3 clerks talking amongst themselves. I make the eye contact and nod that says "yes, please come help me." They turned their back before I could utter a word. This is where my self control came in. Instead of being a bitch and busting up their tea party, another employee passed me by. He had unfortunate timing because I asked "who can assist me at the jewelry counter?"

This poor fellow who was clearly on a mission looked over at the 3 tea party members and shook his head. He said something to them and the crabby old lady came over to help me. She proceeded to disregard my request to look at the watch I wanted, tried to sell me on another, and then made some comment about one being very large. I replied with "It's for my husband" to which she replied "well, obviously."

My blood began to boil and I had to pause and remember how much patience I have with the kids. I proceeded to use the "Damages" approach...smiled, asked something else politely, and wanted to stab the woman to death.

I checked out and considered complaining to a manager but I had a feeling it would have been the first employee I started with. I don't expect a whole bunch of things when I shop. I just want to be acknowledged and greeted politely. When you finish ringing up my order, please tell me the total. I don't mind waiting for the other shoppers and their drama if someone will just tell me it will be a few minutes. I have been on the other side and understand how things go.

After this; I found myself at Publix. I had the opposite experience. A nice young boy was returning some items. He asked if I needed help finding a wine and even offered me a pamphlet on wines. I politely declined and thanked him for the great service. I think I shocked him with a polite reply.

2 Comments:

At 5:40 PM , Blogger Jess said...

The only place in So Fl with great customer service, that I've experienced, is with the Pak Mail on Atlantic, next to Sam's Club and Whole Foods. I don't have to mail stuff very often, but when I do, I always go there because those dudes are so friggin' nice.

The other day, I had to mail a box, and I had the box awkwardly in one arm and Caleb in the other, and I was demanding that Norah stick close to me as we crossed the parking lot, and as we were walking, the guy came out of Pak Mail to grab the box from me and help us inside.

I always get that kind of service from them. I have no clue if I'm paying quadruple for shipping, and I don't care, those guys are the best.

 
At 7:03 PM , Blogger Erin said...

I agree, I will pay through the nose because they are that great (the dudes at Park Mail).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home