Thursday, July 12, 2012

Erin Has a Hobby?

Many of you know that I have wanted a hobby for a long time. I have also wanted to get in shape. I figured I may as well make getting in shape a hobby so I finally made the decision to join the crazy running cult. Yes, I said I started running.

Before you get too excited here's the low down on my approach. I figured if I was going to do this; I need to do it right. I read a few articles and found the Couch to 5K training plan. It's been cited by many people who have found the idea of running daunting and are out of shape. I figured what the hell; if they can do it, I can do it.

Next step-proper running attire. I have new running shoes and a few pairs of decent socks. Shorts and sports bra were next on the list to procure. Since I am not too picky at this point, I picked up some shorts at Target and a cheap sports bra. It's cute but it doesn't work without a regular bra underneath. Even my old good ones didn't do the job with the girls so I have come to the conclusion that until they drop a few cup sizes, two bras will be the norm.

The program is interval training which requires the alternating between running and walking for a set amount of time for 3 sessions a week. Each week changes by increasing time running. The 9th week should have me running the distance of a 5K in under 30 minutes. I thought about registering for a race but really, I just want to be able to go on a run with Jess (yeah, I probably should have called you about this first) and keep up with her without dying. I also would like to be able to stick with this and run the Turkey Trot at Thanksgiving rather than watch and cheer her (and Andy) on.

With the training plan, I decided it's not going to fly unless I had a watch with either a timer or at least a digital display. I headed over to Kohl's on my lunch break this week and picked up a cheap watch (more to come on this topic).

I now had the basics and was looking forward to my first torture run. I had made the decision in my head that I wouldn't post about running until I had actually followed through. In a similar frame of thought, I will not buy more running supplies until I am fully committed and demonstrating it.

I ran Monday evening and it felt pretty good. Tuesday, I was a little stiff but nothing too bad. Wednesday I got up and ran before the kids left for school. Ryan has been super supportive. In fact, this is where the watch story picks back up.

Ryan loves a hobby and will fully commit and not spare a penny when getting started. He came home from work Monday and made a snide comment about me purchasing a watch. I thought he was mad I bought one but he mentioned he had gotten me one for our anniversary. In my normal distracted state I was thinking he meant last years gift to which I replied "I doesn't have a digital display." My bad, he walked out to the truck and brought in a FANCY running watch. Since I hadn't even had my first run I told him to keep the receipt and I would try it after I felt I was committed.

Tomorrow will be the last run of week 1. I am looking forward to it. I have a couple more weeks of short intervals that I think I will keep doing with the cheap watch. After that, I will probably bust out the old MP3 player (maybe that's my next new purchase) and possibly the new watch since the intervals will be longer and easier to track (along with mileage).

Yes, I admit I said I would never run especially in FL weather but I do agree with runners. It is a great way to wind down or ramp up for a hectic day and I do feel better I am out doing something. I will never be thin, I will never stop drinking, so for now, this is as good as it gets. If 9 weeks from now I start focusing on a 10K program, remind me I have sold my soul to the running devil. 


1 Comments:

At 8:42 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Woo-hoo!! Welcome to the dark side!

Let me know when you wanna run!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home