Saturday, June 30, 2012

MN vs FL Garage Sale

Ryan and I had our first rummage/garage/yard sale today. Although I was pretty prepared and heard a FL sale is much different from a MN sale; I had to experience it for myself.

Similarities:
  • Preparing for a sale is a lot of work.
  • You always think your junk is worth more than someone else does.
  • No matter what time you say you open, they arrive 30 minutes early.

Differences:
  • Most (not all) FL people are *ssholes wheeling and dealing to practically rape you like a car salesman. You could tell them it's free and they would still try to talk you into giving them more.
  • Items that would be a hot ticket up north you couldn't give away down here.
  • See the first bullet and add rude and disrespectful scammers to the list.
I don't want to sound like it was all crazy people and nasty jerks. I met a few nice young people expecting babies who were very appreciative for some of the stuff I practically gave them for nothing. I also met a few funny people who cracked jokes and were more than happy to be out looking at my stuff under the hot blazing sun.

We opened the doors at 7am to bring the stuff outside and by 8am, it felt like it was 10am. We were about to close shop around 9, and then around 10, and finally by 11 we didn't have enough stuff to make the possible $1 worth it or take much more sun.

We closed the doors with less than one kitchen garbage bag of stuff we planned on tossing anyways. Two toes with a few knick knacks and 8 decorative pillows and a few fleece sleepers. We had a few bottles, my breast pump, and a mirror. Jess and Jerry's stroller barely even got a glance much less anyone interested in it. Looks like a few of these items will go on Craig's List while the others will wait for a second round as Mason outgrows a few more things.

We made $205.25 and Jon made $5. Not really much money considering the $$$$ paid oringinally but it felt good to clear out a ton of space and see people get some use out of stuff rather than tossing or donating. If we do another sale, I will never mark half of it because it was called "Let's make a deal" all morning long (that deserves it's own post but it might be offensive to some). I am exhausted. I think we will use our profits to have someone else make, serve, and clean up after dinner.

2 Comments:

At 8:53 PM , Blogger Jess said...

I was curious about the breastpump; guess I'll be putting TWO things on Craigslist!

 
At 1:25 PM , Blogger Crissy Rae said...

I agree with you on the time. I had a garage sale several years ago and the garage sale vultures were circling before we even had the table set up. I swear some of them have made it a sport or something.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home