Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sleep Deprivation

Every new parent complains about sleep deprivation. Up until a couple nights ago, I thought I was doing pretty well with it. I haven't been overly grouchy. I haven't consumed a ton of caffeine to make it through the day (in fact, most days I don't have any). I haven't completely lost my mind.

I have been fighting a cold and I can't beat it. It's definitly winning with runny eyes, nose, sore throat...I know it's mostly due to sleep deprivation. At the same time, Mason has had a bout with diarrhea.

I have said he's more sensitive than Miller was and loves to be held and hates to sleep in his crib (or anywhere else). He's doing ok at night but the day time is a disaster. I have finally had enough. I don't think it's colic but he's borderline.

This of course is the time I start to doubt my abilities as a parent (btw, he's screaming right now but I am over it. I just turn up the radio louder). He doesn't seem to have the same gassy fussiness Miller had. He is just overly tired and won't stay asleep during the day. He's been awake for 5 hours with 10-20 minutes of "dozing" (in my arms of course). I know he's not hungry (no kid eats every hour!). He's dry. I have changed scenery, positions, clothing, etc. We are going to try a walk in a few minutes but that means he has to give me enough time to put clothes on and my shoes. Wish us luck because once we are home, it will start all over again.

I love the kid and the 10 seconds of smiles a day melts my heart but I am ready to go back to work. This is not enjoyable and making me feel like a terrible mom. I think the dog and cat feel the same way. Any suggestions on what to do with a spoiled baby who only loves to be held (the baby bjorn doesn't work for me-he's too big for me to actually do anything).

8 Comments:

At 11:45 AM , Blogger Jess said...

The sleep deprivation is cummulative. Every parent is tired by this point, so take heart knowing that you're not alone!

People will suggest a million different tactics for dealing with such crying, and I'm sure you've tried them all, but typical stuff to experiment with: pacifiers (if he doesn't take one kind, he may take another), different bottles (he could be getting too much air and he could be getting uncomfortable gas), and different formula is probably the biggest, most frequent suggestion for fussy babies.

Otherwise, I'm out. If you've tried experimenting with those factors and they've failed, the best you can do is find a way to give yourself a break. Why don't you drop him off with me either tomorrow morning or Friday morning? An hour or two away from him would probably be the best thing! I'll email you!

 
At 2:33 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

I agree with Jess - maybe different formula or tummy meds? Rylee's fussiness became much more manageable once we got her tummy issues under control.

Also for sleep remedy, you could try the 45 minute electric slide workout. It worked wonders for Rylee (and my waist line!).

Hang in there!

 
At 4:08 PM , Blogger Sheryl said...

I agree with the other comments. Here are a few other ideas I found.

What about a baby sling or carrier and use it during colicky periods.
Give your baby a warm bath.
Lie on your back and lay your baby on top of your tummy down while massaging his back. (Transfer your baby to his bed if he falls asleep.)
Take Baby for a ride in the car.
As a last resort, ask your doctor or health care provider about medications available for colic and gas.

A friend of mine here had the same kind of issue and she brought her kid to the Chiropractor. It worked. They think the baby would get a tummy ach because she was out of line.

 
At 5:04 PM , Blogger Erin said...

I took a 40 minute walk with Mason today to clear my head and put him to sleep. He's fine if he doesn't stay awake for 5+ hours at a time.

I don't think it's food related or gas since it doesn't occur at night after he eats. As long as I can get him to sleep he's a sweet kid. After he woke up from the walk, we had a good afternoon.

Thanks for the tips and support. I have tried many of these things but will try them again in isolation since I read I could be trying things too much at a time to know what's really going on.

 
At 7:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You won't know until you try some of these suggestions whether they work or not. Maybe Mason is just so tired at night that he would sleep no matter what. It is also possible some kids have acid reflux which could explain him wanting to sleep in your arms in a somewhat upright position. (With the Froyd history any stomach problems are possible). It is so hard to know what is the problem when they are this age.
Most babies are not spoiled when they want to sleep being held all the time. Usually there is a reason.
It is hard for any Mom to admit she doesn't always know best... I know that from experience (even though I am always right. :))
Coyote Mama

 
At 8:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We worship the bouncy ball. Both babies at this household have proven high maintenance, but neither can resist the bouncy motion of the excercise ball while throwing a fit. It puts them right to sleep and works the core at the same time. Bounces the gas out too :)
Hang in there! SQKR

 
At 6:49 AM , Blogger Ryan said...

bounces the gas out of which one of you?

 
At 2:23 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

Our pediatrician suggested that we put the baby in the bjorn (or any infant carrier) and then vacuum, which we did, and it TOTALLY worked! He fell asleep in a couple of minutes, and was soothed by the loud noise and movement. And, we had a semi-clean house for a couple hours each day. Good luck to you! Hang in there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home