Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Ph.D. ?

When I was taking classes I was asked by several teachers if I was going to continue on to get my Ph.D. I laughed and thought to myself, no way. Then I considered it for a split second thinking later in life it would be another goal to obtain. My hubby had mentioned he would divorce me if I pursued it because I put him through 18 months without a "wife" working on my Masters while working full time (and then some).

Today I had a co-worker ask me if I was going to get my Ph.D. I said nope and he asked why. I mentioned the threat of divorce from my husband. He laughed and said, seriously, you need to think about it. Hmmm....I don't see myself as a Ph.D. candidate but it would be fun to have that degree. What would I get it in? When would I find the time to do it? I would like to have kids first but then again, who wants to wait 18+ years to go back to school? Maybe once I have kids in school I could start a program and do homework with them?

Oh, the possibility is tantilizing but I think I need to stop working so hard and enjoy life. As a side note...he even made me consider which schools "not to attend" because "you are too smart to get a degree of that magnitude from a non-prestigious school." Then the "do you know how many doors this could open for you" comment was thrown in. That was the dream crasher. Hmmm...I have 2 bachelor's and a master's. Granted, none of them are from prestigious schools but considering my interviews...schools never came up. I guess this is something to ponder on the side.

For now...I just have to get through the next 3 weeks of teaching. I am slacking so much. I need to get this unit's reading done and catch up on some grades. Nice, I have turned into a slacker teacher already!

4 Comments:

At 10:50 PM , Blogger Froyd said...

"doors"? Sounds like you've got too many damned doors opened right now as it is.

I'll let you know once I get my PhD how many doors it opens for me.

 
At 2:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK women you need to STOP and smell the flowers and some dirty diapers. Take some time to enjoy teaching and a PhD will always be there. Sheryl

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Did my husband bribe you guys to talk me out of it? I have decided if I ever start a doctoral program-I will not work at the same time.

So, wine, chocolates, roses, and possibly babies come first. I have mastered two of the above...(wine and chocolates).

 
At 7:18 AM , Blogger Jess said...

I like to think a PhD is in my future as well (as soon as a program will accept me -- been rejected from two), but it is a daunting task to consider.

You have plenty of time to get to it if it's something you want to do.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home