Sunday, July 16, 2006

Writing and distance learning

My brother inlaw is currently attending Pacifica (out in California). He lives in northern Minnesota. His school is semi-distance in the fact that he writes his papers, sends some in ahead of time, and then has class every so many weeks where he has to fly out there. He mentioned today in his blog how is at the point where he feels like his creativity is gone and he is on auto-pilot with his papers.

I think I have reached that point too. My questions to you are these:

1) Is it because all we do is write? We write blogs, we write discussion threads, we email, we chat, and we write our papers...maybe speaking once in a while would help ease the pain in our fingers!

2) Or is it because I am in a research class and near the end of my program? I used to hit a groove in my paper writing that I actually enjoyed. I had a rough time getting started but once I was a couple paragraphs into the paper it would flow.

Do campus students feel the same way even though they only write papers or assignments? I wonder if they realize the glory of being able to speak, even if it is only one hour a week.

1 Comments:

At 10:22 PM , Blogger Froyd said...

1. As for losing creativity, I think the problem lies in the requirements of my particular college(and perhaps other colleges as well)...these always request the same style papers, in the same order, dealing with the same type of questions. The problem that I've run into is that writing long papers for classes, in two Master's programs, becomes just busy work, because you're not allowed to research into the areas you want to. The classes lock you into a research area that, at this point in the game, people just have no interest in at all.

2). This is probably what's wrong with you. Senioritis. You're just getting old.

yes, yes I did go there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home