Saturday, July 08, 2006

Pajama research

One "pro" that many people list about online education is the ability to sit at home in your pj's and be productive. I find this an interesting thought. Some days it works to my advantage and others it is a hindrance.

Take for example my typical Saturday. I work Monday through Friday and look forward to spending most of my weekend working on homework. I can afford to spend large chunks of time virtually uninterrupted (the hubby always has chores to do and keeps the pets away). I roll out of bed and log on to the computer to check my email, post to a few discussion threads, and then start on my papers. I usually do not take a shower or get dressed until I have accomplished at least one monumental paper, project, or milestone. Then the great debate starts...do I skip showering and getting dressed altogether and keep plugging away at homework or will that shower and real clothes re-motivate me to keep up the pace?

I have found that some days staying in my pj's is the way to go. I feel like I am on a mission and my reward to accomplishing homework is the shower. Other days I know that if I don't get my shower in, I will feel icky and sluggish all day long. The homework will seem like a project I just can't quite finish and so why put forth the effort?

Today I discovered a new alternative to the pj dilemma. Start in my pj's, eat lunch, exercise (a new found interest since all I do is sit in front of the computer day in and day out), then shower, but put new pj's on and continue with the homework.

So now that you have had a peak into my weird world of doing research in my pj's, I want to know if anyone else struggles with this strange and completely unpublished dilemma related to online learning?

2 Comments:

At 12:55 PM , Blogger Jess said...

The first thing I do when I come home is put on "comfy" clothes, and this means something with an elastic waistband, so when I'm home all day, you can bet I'm spending the whole day in pj's! So, if I were an online student, I think that would be a huge plus -- maybe schools should think of listing it in their course descriptions!

 
At 7:35 PM , Blogger Erin said...

And to think people want to use video and audio...I don't know about you but I like to think we all look fabulous all of the time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home