Monday, July 03, 2006

In the beginning...

In the beginning of my educational journey, I thought about starting a BLOG to document my process of learning. Then I quickly found out that it is requirement to keep a reflective journal. So, like all lazy graduate students (which it isn't really laziness, it is lack of time) I decided to stick with only the required reflective journal. Well, here I am at the end of my program and I was asked to start a BLOG for my final elective class. So, without further ado, is my BLOG!

Being an online distance learner, I would like to start discussing the pro's and con's of online distance learning and then branch into the different types of technology I am learning about, for use within the classroom (virtual or traditional). Every day I stumble across a new idea or method for teaching (or learning) that I find very interesting. Some days I am a true technology advocate and on others, I am nothing but a nay sayer.

Today I am going to sing a few praises about online distance learning:
1) Convenience-the ability to work on my course work whenever I want and where ever I want is priceless. Not having to drive to a campus or deal with parking is a godsend.
2) Focus-the course work and time spent interacting with my peers is always focused. The sidebar conversations and distractions during lectures are minimal, if any.
3) Variation-the course work is varied to keep my attention and touch on my different learning styles. There are reading assignments, web field trips, synchronous seminars, and asynchronous message boards, plus written assignments/projects.

Being new to the BLOG world, please bare with me as I experiment with the look and feel of my BLOG. I hope you visit often!

2 Comments:

At 12:59 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Looks good Erin. I'll be back to visit.

 
At 7:28 PM , Blogger Naomi said...

Erin,

It was smart to pick a general topic. I hope I don't run out of ideas for mine. I do love using technology in education to make things more interesting...and it is very convenient. There are so many great resources out there. Why should the teacher be doing all the work?

You have a great start!

- Naomi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home