Friday, July 07, 2006

Personalities

Today I had a discussion with a fellow teacher (traditional school) who was lamenting about how she has a student in her class that is so "off the wall" that his peers give her "the look" when he speaks. She said it was reassuring to know that she wasn't the only one that thought every word out of his mouth was dribble. We then proceeded to speak about how it would be hard to "view" this type of reaction via an online forum.

I told her I agree that it is difficult because most people will not post to a discussion or comment in a chat to the person that is out of line, annoying, or completely "stupid." *I know, how scholarly of me to call a student stupid. I usually catch myself thinking, "Is it me or is this person an idiot?" or "Oh no, here he/she goes again." Then I started to think about the bonds and opinions I share with my peers.

In the online world, the same reactions are there, we just express ourselves in a slightly different manner. It is the email behind the scenes to a trusted peer or group of peers. It could be the slight comment to a post with a hint of sarcasm that could be taken at face value or not. It sometimes is the lack of response from "everyone" to that student.

I know, now I have you analyzing every reaction you have ever received online. Don't worry. Most of the time there is only one class idiot and if you already have identified that person, it isn't you...or is it? ;)

1 Comments:

At 9:31 PM , Blogger Jess said...

I guess I hadn't realized, until we talked about it, how different the community of an online classroom is. While you can still maintain the discussion, it is a different discussion when you're not faced with one another.

We say so much with body language!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home