Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Collection Agency

Last night I got home and Ryan told me I was sent to collections for not paying our newspaper bill. Of course, this put me in a tizzy. Here are the background details and then the phone conversation I had with a rep from said newspaper.

Fact:
-We only get the Sunday paper
-Somehow, we always start to receive the Saturday, Friday, Thursday, you get it, all but Monday paper which we do NOT read. It sits outside until it makes a trip to the recycle bin.
-We quit the paper a while back for the same reason.
-November I received a bill and didn't pay it. I wrote on it "Do not pay, cancelling because we only want Sunday service."
-In the past, if you didn't pay in advance, they quit your service.
-I save all my paid bills in a folder. Ryan likes to harass me for this. Now he is glad I saved them because I had tangible evidence with dates.
-I receive calls weekly from the same paper and politely tell them I have cancelled my service and am not interested.
-Bill from the collection agency did not match the bill I receive in November.

Phone conversation:

Agent: Good morning, thank you for call X newspaper. How may I help you?

Erin: Hi, I received a notice stating I was sent to collections. I thought I cancelled my subscription in November.

Agent: What day ma'am?

Erin: Bill was dated November 2, around that date.

Agent: Let me check your account. I see you expired on November 16th and we sent you to collections on January 29th. I will take care of this for you.

Erin: Ok, does that mean I still owe money? How do I clear this up with the collection agency?

Agent: You pay them the $14 you owe.

Erin: Ok, why is the amount they are collecting on different than the bill I received?

Agent: Are you interested in renewing your subscription with us?

Erin: No, I wasn't happy with your service and you sent me to collections. I am not interested in renewing my subscription.

Agent: Ok, let me adjust your account. You now owe $6.99.

Erin: Alright. Do I pay that amount and the collection agency will know this is accurate?

Agent: You can pay me by credit card now and I will follow up with the agency.

Erin: One moment while I grab my credit card.

Agent: What number is that?

(Mind you...I haven't made it up from my chair to grab it yet.)

Erin: One second, I am grabbing it now. It's a visa.

We go through the payment process.

Erin: May I have a confirmation number and your name?

Agent begrudginly passes the info over. Then ends the call with the sales pitch and thanking me for my service. I put my money on receiving a call tonight asking if I want to renew my subscription.

2 Comments:

At 2:19 PM , Blogger MN Mom said...

And I bet that won't be the end of it! The one thing I've learned is that service people in the southern states rarely if ever do their job and never on the first round...I hope I'm wrong in your case.

 
At 7:26 PM , Blogger Agate Lake Girl said...

Yes, in all my numerous calls over the past months I've noticed that they will do just about anything to not give out their ID info etc. Like my Mom said, let's hope this is actually the end of it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home